Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody used the cheap clutch kits from Advance Auto?

My wife's Outback needs a clutch. It is a 96 2.2. I plan on keeping it for at least 3 more years. We have only had this car for about 16 months so I feel it was the previous owners who might have worn it prematurely. The last Outback she had she took to 164,000 with the original clutch and had no poblems when somebody pulled right out in front of me and totaled it. Anyway, that isn't the important part.

Anybody use the cheap Fenco clutch disc set? $150. The Beck/Arnley is just about the same price as the OEM from 1st Subaru.

I will put a rear seal in while it is apart. Anything else?

Thanks,

Greg

My wife's Outback needs a clutch. It is a 96 2.2. I plan on keeping it for at least 3 more years. We have only had this car for about 16 months so I feel it was the previous owners who might have worn it prematurely. The last Outback she had she took to 164,000 with the original clutch and had no poblems when somebody pulled right out in front of me and totaled it. Anyway, that isn't the important part.

Anybody use the cheap Fenco clutch disc set? $150. The Beck/Arnley is just about the same price as the OEM from 1st Subaru.

I will put a rear seal in while it is apart. Anything else?

Thanks,

Greg

you get what you pay for.

nipper

I knew somebody was going to post this. It's like a law somebody has to add a post to this affect.

Do the oil separators go bad on 2.2s? I know they are a weak spot on the 2.5s.

I will check into the Exedy clutch, thanks.

Well its true, either that or you enjoy doing it twice. I wouldnt say you have to go to OE, but do go with a name brand clutch kit.

nipper

Well its true, either that or you enjoy doing it twice. I wouldnt say you have to go to OE, but do go with a name brand clutch kit.

nipper

And how do you know that? Because it comes from Advance, because it has a cheesey name like Fenco or because it only cost $150? It could be a piece of crap and the best value may be OEM at twice the price? Or the cheesy name may be it's only drawback and it might be the same manufacturer as Beck/Arnley. I don't know, that is why I posted the question.

What I want to know is if somebody used one and had good luck or bad luck. That will help me. I am a professional purchasing agent. I buy value. If you are savy you can sometimes get more than you pay for. If you are not, you can often get less than you pay for (and I learned that the hard way) :-)

The fact it comes from an ISO9002/QS9000 manufacturer I thought I would at least look into it. From the AdvanceAuto description:

With hours required for Front Wheel Drive clutch installation, doing the job right the first time is critical. Fenco DynaPak Kits have the features that make them the clutch of choice for Professional Installers across North America.

Take a close look at DynaPak, then compare to the OTHERS

NOT ALL CLUTCHES ARE CREATED EQUAL!

DynaPak Features:

• All OE Manufactured components
  • Branded OE grade friction
  • Pre-damper discs supplied as required
  • Ductile iron pressure plates as required
  • Premium quality self-aligning bearings
  • Specifications for every part offered
  • 100% testing philosophy
  • QS9000/ISO9002 Certified process

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=FEN&mfrpartnumber=NU31248&parttype=244&ptset=A

The iso qualification is not a certification of the quality of the product. Its a certification of the quality procedures and standards used in making the product.

i have an ISO 9000/9200 certification

Established in 1987, ISO 9000 is an international set of five related standards for qualification of global quality assurance and quality control standards. Adherence is accomplished through an application process for ISO 9000 certification in company standards for inspecting production processes, updating records, maintaining equipment, training employees and handling customer relations. The governing international consortium is recognized worldwide.

Since we are waving credentials i am an automotive enginner. I have been pulling a wrench since i can walk. i worked for Standard motor products at one time in my life. I am a member of SAE along with many other profesional and test organizations, thats how i know about "that".

I have NEVER had a problem with beck/Arnley

I can show you many many companies that are ISO 9000 and make a poor quality product because they have low standards. ISO is an internal certification, unlike an SAE standard, which means that the product meets specific tests.

Also being a pirchasing agent (which i have done also) you know how what the engineer specifies can wander off spec because of a good buy.

The quote you have can be found on any site that sells this same clutch

http://www.khapco.com/exhaust.htm

others agree with me

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=112117

http://jeepkings.ca/forums/printthread.php?threadid=25748

http://www.thefbody.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26763&sid=72bf46148854bf83472e186c5fbad11c

http://www.rx7club.com/archive/index.php/t-38297.html

Since im sensing hostility im bowing out of this.

good luck

I hate to say it dude, but if all you are going to post in a thread asking for specific advice on a specific topic is a vague suggestion that should be obvious to anyone like "you get what you pay for," you are probably better off just not posting at all. The whole patronizing attitude thing can be pretty off-putting.

you get what you pay for.

nipper

I put a Fenco clutch in my 91 Trooper a number of years ago. I then drove the crap out of it for 5 years and 100,000 km (lots of off road too). It still was fine when I sold the truck. Maybe the OEM would have been even better but it was 3 times the price and money was tight.

I would have no problem putting another Fenco in an old vehicle.

I put a Fenco clutch in my 91 Trooper a number of years ago. I then drove the crap out of it for 5 years and 100,000 km (lots of off road too). It still was fine when I sold the truck. Maybe the OEM would have been even better but it was 3 times the price and money was tight.

Now that was some useful information... Anyone else have personal experience?? I am likely looking at a new clutch sometime in the next couple years.

matt

Now that was some useful information... Anyone else have personal experience?? I am likely looking at a new clutch sometime in the next couple years.

matt

Yep. My Fencrap clutch lasted 3K miles in my old Comanche. Replaced under warranty, the new one lasted 2K miles. New PP, Flywheel, input seal, Slave cylinder, and MAster with BOTH replacements. Last one was a NAPA replacement, and it outlasted the truck.

CLutches are like Engine rebuild kits. Sure you can save a few bucks....but do you REALLY want to be ripping the crap out again in 4 months?

Thanks a TON Firstwagon and Storydude1. With the sheer number of people on this site I knew somebody had to have used one of these clutches. Thanks for the feedback from firsthand experience. One positive and 1 negative now that makes it all the much easier :-)

And Nipper, please don't feel like I am being hostile. I just need info like Firstwagon and Storydude1 not speculation. If my Outback was a treasure I would go with the OEM but like I originally posted I only need 3 years out of the thing.

MoodyBluser did you use the Exedy racing clutch or the OEM clutch kit from clutchcityonline? The Exedy racing clutch is $500+ but they have an OEM kit for $165. I would definately pay $15 more (free shipping and no tax so final price is just about a wash) for an Exedy kit.

Thanks,

Greg

Exedy doesn't make a racing clutch for my XT6, so I used the OEM clutch with a heavy duty pressure plate. All you need is the OEM kit, though, as that is all I have used in the past on my clutch replacements, with nothing but good results. If the clutch starts going south anytime soon in my '97 OBS, it will definately be replaced with an exedy OEM kit.

Here's one on the bay of ee for even cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-OUTBACK-NEW-JDM-Clutch-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ005QQitemZ150033798959QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i used to run an advance and we carried perfection clutches at that time and i beleive they still do and the best way i could describe the clutch kits is P.O.S.!!! at my current job we only deal with subys and all we install is sachs, never had a problem. they are a little on the pricey side but they work nice.