Ultimate Subaru Message Board

camshaft case?

Uberoo

Im trying to remove the left camshaft case on my 1987 EA82 carbie.somehow a rocker arm disappeared so I have to replace it.All four bolts holding the case on are taken off but I can't seem to get it to budge an inch.So what do I do?the passenger side T belt is off,the covers are off and all the bolts holdind it seem to be undone...

execpt the 17MM bolts holding the head on(not messing with those)

help?whats holding it on?or should I bust out the pry bar?

Im trying to remove the left camshaft case on my 1987 EA82 carbie.somehow a rocker arm disappeared so I have to replace it.All four bolts holding the case on are taken off but I can't seem to get it to budge an inch.So what do I do?the passenger side T belt is off,the covers are off and all the bolts holdind it seem to be undone...

execpt the 17MM bolts holding the head on(not messing with those)

help?whats holding it on?or should I bust out the pry bar?

missing a few bolts?

8 bolts as Mr Northwet has stated.

The case is sealed as well as bolted. Gently place a screwdriver or small pry bar between the case and head. Key word here is gently. You will see a couple places you will be able to apply pressure to seperate them.

This happened to my bro-in-law once. He had a stuck valve and the rocker fell off. Good luck with it.

NOTE: Make sure all bolts are removed before attempting this as the case will break.

Freeing it may be the easy part. You will probably have to remove the head to fix it. It can be done in the car but increases the difficulty level 10 fold. You'll need to check the valve guide for damage as well.

Or the alternative method would be to lightly rap the end of the valve and try to dislodge the valve. This may be a result of high revs or weak springs. You may be able to temporarily unstick it but it should be taken apart to repair it properly.

This seems to be somewhat common on the EA82's. I've seen it once as well. In my case the head gasket on that side was blown, so I suspect that a severe overheat caused the valve to seize temporarily. Rocker arm was just lying there in the cam case. I drove it on 3 cylinders about 20 miles home when I bought it. Replaced the HG (but reused all the old rockers and stuff. Didn't mill the heads either as cost was a severe issue for the owner), and although it ran a little warm after that till the radiator was replaced, the car has about 15,000 on it since then and the valve has not attempted this strange feat again. It does burn a little oil (little puff on take-off - probably valve stem seals or that stem is scored internally. Anyway, it runs fine, if maybe a little low on the power spectrum. Still has the Hitachi though.

GD

Another possibility is a dislodged valve seat - the disc that surrounds the valve. I found one in my donor vehicle. The head has to come off to fix.

+1 on that possibility.

You need to pull the head. It's fubaru. Best bet is to try to find another good used head. That will be the cheapest "out" for your scenario.

You have to pull it - period. And then it's not certain it can even be reused without a pretty expensive machine shop bill (think near or over $100), so might as well try to find a good used one for less and save yourself a trip to the machine shop.

GD