Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing back window 92 loyale?

jimbo

I put a piece of wood through my back window on my 92 loyale wagon, I found a new piece of glass for $50, but I am having trouble figuring out how to put it in, it is the type with a rubber gasket type thing around the window. Is it possible to do it myself, I tried for an hour or so this afternoon, but can't get, or should I pay to have it put in.

I paid to have this done several years ago. I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but I watched it done, and here's how he did it:

The guy first put a piece of thin rope into the rubber gasket slot and ran it all the way around with both ends sticking out a couple ft. then he put the glass into the gasket, right over the string.

Then he put the glass/gasket in position on the car from the outside as best he could, with the string ends sticking out inside. Finally, he pulled the string inward, and as it came out, it ran around the gasket, the rubber gasket pulled itself over the lip, and presto, the glass was in. He made it at least look easy.

well, I'm not sure how to replace just the glass. but I put a lawn mower handle through the back window of my old '85 GL Wagon. I got a whole new hatch from the local Junkyard off a Loyale. pretty easy swap. and it's way easier than making sure the gasket seals, and the defroster still works, etc.

That's how I did it, worked great....Good Luck!!