Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diesel Powered Loyale?

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Maybe it is a "Reverse Question" for this Forum, but I didn´t find any other place for it:

Is it Possible to Use a VW Diesel (Maybe Wanagon) Engine, to Power a Loyale? :confused:

I heard that in Guatemala, Someone did that, but I want to Know more about that, and I didn´t find any Info ´bout on the Web... Maybe someone could post here More about that... I just Found a pic of a VW Beetle (Gasoline) Powered Leone...

That is Because a Friend of Mine, has the Idea to Buy a Dead Engine Loyale, and convert it to a Diesel (Here, we have Bio-Diesel, it is almost Half Cheap than Gasoline) and he want my Help on that Quest... :-\

Any Idea will be Welcome!

Thank you all... :)

I've had interest in this for a while.

The best engine, IMO, would be a VW 1.9 TDI. It fits inside the engine bay (although you may need to elevate the trans, and that would affect the axles).. and its dry weight is only 300 lbs. It is roughly comparable, performancewise, to an EJ22.

uhm, I should say that "it fits inside the engine bay.. of a lifted EA82." I have the dimensions written down somewhere.

You might still end up with a power bulge in the hood. I have yet to break ground on this... I don't even have my EJ22 swap running!

well, i have a different series (1990) of wiring harness to deal with, and your gremlins are pretty well resolved by now.. Let me get back to you and don't listen to Brian :dead::banana:

Sorry to hijack, but its a quick ride over to spokane on the bike, i could come try and help with your conversion, although, you may ask Tex if i'm worth it, his 3 week swap took me 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you've got the cash, and other issues don't prevent it, I'd try real hard to use one of the new TDI engines and not one of the Rabbit/Vanagon engines. I've driven a couple of diesel Rabbit pickups, and they're really slow, whereas I hear that the new TDI's can haul some serious butt.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to own a 2002 Jetta 1.9TDI. The engine revs like a gasser and doesnt not drive like your dads diesel car. Im all for the 1.9TDI but you might try and seek a 1.9TD instead and no have to deal with the computer or other smog stuff. The 1.9TDI can be tuned to 150bhp and 300ftlbs and remain reliable.... if you want real power then look towards the 2.0TDI or a european V6 TDI... or the V10 TDI :grin: 500bhp and 1000ftlbs from an aluminum block diesel... :headbang:

• 1 month later...

Since the 1.6 diesel from the Golf/Rabbit fits in the Vanagon, and the EJ will fit into Vanagons as well as EA cars, I'm assuming Vanagon and Subaru engine bays are very similar... You should be able to use Vanagon diesel engine mounts in the Loyale. Hooking up a transmission is the hard part.

• 4 months later...

Hey, it's the "lets put a VW diesel engine in a loyale" thread again. I am seriously working on this as well. FYI, the old VW 1.6's and the new 1.9TDI's are actually quite similar, and if you could figure out how to get one in there, you could probably get the other in. People have bolted the TDI's into old VW rabbits. I was planning on the tilted over design, and lifting the subaru, to get an extra few inches of room for the engine in height (it's a tall engine compared to an EA81 or EA82. I am actually wanting to go for a 1.4TDI -- the three cylinder version of the 1.9. Only was sold in Europe, so I'll have to import one. But, lengthwise, it's a bit easier to deal with. Only about 75HP and 130ftlbs, but hey, I've got an EA81 right now, which at my altitude (9,000 ft) is probably about 50HP and 70ftlbs... :grin: Considering that a jetta TDI will easily cruise at 95mph, and my EA81 weighs a bit less than a mark IV jetta, and the speedometer only goes to 85mph, I think the 1.4TDI should be great....

AND -- if they offer a diesel legacy outback in the US in 2008, I will most likely buy one. Our sales guy says I need a new car soon so clients don't see my old multicolored suby :mad:, and a diesel is the one thing that will make me buy a new suby (otherwise, it's going to be a golf TDI most likely -- because it WILL be a biodiesel car)

A good resource on the VW diesels is the VWdiesel.net forum. I used it alot when putting a 1.6 liter VW diesel in my VW GTI. They are mostly US and Canada based (english and french forums), but not much european from what I can tell -- which limits the knowledge about the 3 cylinder versions. I hear that the 3 cylinder version were also available in south america.

Also, I've done several diesel engines on biodiesel, and several on vegetable oil (SVO), so if anyone has specific questions on that, let me know. I've never actually made biodiesel from vegetable oil (always just bought it at the local station here), but I know many people who have -- and exceeded ASTM specs with a homebrew biodiesel reactor. I'm more into auto mechanics than chemistry, so I'm a little stronger proponent of SVO if you're doing it yourself, if you engine can handle it (which alot of newer diesels can't -- so biodiesel is the only route)

My personal experience with the 1.9 liter TDI's is that they are great engines -- gobs and gobs of torque, and smooth running. BUT, the reliability of the computer control is not what subaru people are used to. Some people actually put a mechanical injection pump on the TDI engine, which reduces power somewhat, but (IMHO) increases reliability, and makes it alot easier to swap into another car (three wires to hook up, instead of a whole ECU). As well, the mechanical injection systems seem to handle SVO much better.

Also... VW makes industrial engines. http://www.kraftpower.com/vw/vw_diesel.html

Less power than the automotive versions.

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/tdi_specs_en.pdf

AND -- don't ever let on that you want to use these in an automobile -- they will refuse to ever talk to you again. A friend of mine wanted to put a duetz diesel in an old pickup to make a farm vehical, and once they heard pickup truck, they hung up on him.

I have specs and torque curves for several other VW diesel engines that I'll try to get linked to here soon.

Interestingly, the specs for the TDI engine states a maximum tilt angle of 35 degrees -- I think thats a little less than the vanagons, which use it at a 50 degree tilt angle. I THINK that the only difference in the vanagon engines is that they have a different oil pickup tube and oil pan. Obviously our subaru engines operate with the clyinders tipped all the way over :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
What about using a Vanagon diesel that's at a tilt? I think its tilted 60 degrees. I wonder if that'd clear.

Oddly the vanagon people rip out thier engines and put in subaru engines. The vanagon engine isnt reliable, is underpowered and seems to have HG issues (imagine that). Maybe in a lighter car it does better but personally i think its a huge downgrade.

nipper