Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my brat "up-grades" and work done so far

Subaru_Mechanic

i just changed the oil and cleaned the carb. i bought Bondo for the dents and rust spots and supplies for a cool air intake with turbo option. paint for the engine compartment and the dash + inside door panels (stainless custom) i bought blue LED lights for under the dash and all weather off road truck lights. 3 rocker switched going to; the fuel pump, the off road lights and the LED's. i changed the ignition to push button start with anti-theft main switch. and what i have left to go; Tuff bed liner roll on kit (for the whole car, it adds strenght to the metal + its a anti scratch) a 3 inch lift with good size wheels, baffel wrap for the cab and carpet with medium seats, full engine hyper tune. and install my custom grill.

i was thinking about doing something similar on my 84 wagon. i wanted to remove all the carpet and put hurculiner roll-on bedliner on the floors. i think it would be lighter then all the carpet especially since mines soaking wet most of the time. I got a leak in the windshield seal. it would protect against rust, and make it easier to clean out the car after some serious offroad abuse. I've also heard it dampens road noise. any comments, info or ideas are welcome.

I've thought about using something similar to Tuff Bed liner on my Brat-I've heard mixed things about it...some say it's great for preventing rust and stopping scratched & dings...then some claim it adds too much weight. What about applying it? How does it do with a sprayer, or is it totally roll-on?

It does add tremendous strength to the metal integrity. And the kit im putting on is roll on. But the guys at line-x can spray a car anywhere between 200 to 500 bucks if you like a straight body and hate getting scratches then I highly recommend this. And as far as weight. Take as much paint as it would take to spray your fender (primer, color, and clear coat) and compare it to the same amount of hurculiner and the tuff stuff wins. Plus people that say it is heavy probably weighed it in its "wet weight" not applied and dry. : )

i was thinking about doing something similar on my 84 wagon. i wanted to remove all the carpet and put hurculiner roll-on bedliner on the floors. i think it would be lighter then all the carpet especially since mines soaking wet most of the time. I got a leak in the windshield seal. it would protect against rust, and make it easier to clean out the car after some serious offroad abuse. I've also heard it dampens road noise. any comments, info or ideas are welcome.

your right about the noise dampening, but i wouldnt just apply the liner (on the inside of your car). if your low on money (i know i am) just go to a junk yark and pick up plastic/rubber liner out of an old car, and if your willing to buy the best, get dynamat and lay it down on top of your hurculiner, and then a carpet kit with out that crapy padding (you wont hear a sound and it doesnt weigh more then you stock carpet set with the padding). that will help even more with the noise and the cold. and your window leak can be fixed for no more then 10 bucks. if you have a home dopot or a do it center or even ACE, you can pick up a tube of clear sealent that bonds with other sealents and it is all weather. i fixed my girlfriends moon roof leak with it. (and thats hard to do it you plan on scraping off all the tar thats on the car already and replacing it with more tar) if you want to know the exact stuff i use just ask ill give you all the info.

if your willing to buy the best, get dynamat and lay it down on top of your hurculiner, and then a carpet kit with out that crapy padding (you wont hear a sound and it doesnt weigh more then you stock carpet set with the padding). that will help even more with the noise

I've also seen pics where the interior is stripped of everything, floorboard down to bare metal-dynamat applied and then the herculiner or tuff stuff applied over that. I'm planning on this approach (when I get the money) so I will not have to worry about water on the carpet...& I've heard, but never seen pics of the liner being applied to the dash to cover all those small or large cracks that have formed...

I've also seen pics where the interior is stripped of everything, floorboard down to bare metal-dynamat applied and then the herculiner or tuff stuff applied over that. I'm planning on this approach (when I get the money) so I will not have to worry about water on the carpet...& I've heard, but never seen pics of the liner being applied to the dash to cover all those small or large cracks that have formed...

im not so sure about the liner over the dynamat cause i think the dynamat flexes and compresses if you push on it hard. so the liner might deform. ill test it.

i have the perfect way to fix dash cracks! ok get a sander and a little bondo. now get the spray can tool dip. its the gritty or smooth rubber stuff they put on wire cutter handles. well now its self explanitory. sand the sracks down then bondo em, shave or sand that smooth and spray your dash with the rubberized color spray of your choice. this is sweet cause items wont fall off as easy when turning.:headbang: i have tons of ideas. if you want to know more.

Let us know how you come up with a good way to lift it. Gen1 Brats are not the easiest thing to lift.

i was lookin at the rear suspention today and it will be really easy to pull it off and extend it enough to lift it th where i want it, same with the front just cut and extend so the angle isnt off. and i dont need axel mods for this just my trusty ol welder and chop saw. my subaru is worth every minute i put into it. :)