Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey, Air suspension question.

Hey, im new here.

I have a quick question about the air suspension on this Legacy, i believe its a 93.

Question is, can i just buy some regular struts for the same model, w/o the air susp option, and just throw them on?

I seen some conversion kits available from a few suspension places, but i wanted to see if they were just selling regular struts for alot of $ and calling it a kit.

any quick help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, im new here.

I have a quick question about the air suspension on this Legacy, i believe its a 93.

Question is, can i just buy some regular struts for the same model, w/o the air susp option, and just throw them on?

I seen some conversion kits available from a few suspension places, but i wanted to see if they were just selling regular struts for alot of $ and calling it a kit.

Thanks

Basically the answer is yes, but do a quick search to double check.

nipper

yep, get some standard legacy struts from the same year/model/etc and you'll be golden. lots of others will swap as well, but the closer to the same as yours the better chance you have of setting level. i'm familiar with the XT6 air suspension more than the specifics of the legacy, but you have all sorts of options. i wouldn't pay any more than $35 for each strut if i were you. so $150 tops for all 4 spring struts. i'd buy the entire assembly too, don't piece it together. and send me your air suspension compressor when you're done the swap.

yep, get some standard legacy struts from the same year/model/etc and you'll be golden. lots of others will swap as well, but the closer to the same as yours the better chance you have of setting level. i'm familiar with the XT6 air suspension more than the specifics of the legacy, but you have all sorts of options. i wouldn't pay any more than $35 for each strut if i were you. so $150 tops for all 4 spring struts. i'd buy the entire assembly too, don't piece it together. and send me your air suspension compressor when you're done the swap.

Knew you were being tooo helpful :rolleyes:

nipper

Hey, im new here.

Thanks

The answer is yes (sorta). Any Legacy wagon from 92 to 94 will have the right struts to match to your car. (90 and 91 have slightly different mounting point that will mess up the height of the back of your car).

If you want new parts though, you'll have to do some shopping (or buy a "kit").

You need struts, springs, strut mounts and a handful of washers, nuts and other minor parts to build the parts into a strut. And you'll need to buy/rent/borrow a spring compressor.

You need struts, springs, strut mounts and a handful of washers, nuts and other minor parts to build the parts into a strut. And you'll need to buy/rent/borrow a spring compressor.
if you order one of these from a junk yard, you can just order the entire assembly, no worries on all the little pieces. the entire assembly will bolt on very easily.

What Firstwagon said.

This spring (no pun intended... really) I had to replace my air suspension on Murphy, the $500 87 GL-10 Turbo Wagon. The front driver side air strut would deflate over night, and the wagon always sagged if parked for any lenth of time. It looked like it had a hang-over in the mornings. One day while driving the car, the suspension just stopped inflating. Not a comfortible ride!:eek:

Personaly, I suggest getting new assembly or using new struts and building the assembly with used spring (what I did) vs just getting the whole assembly from the J-Yard and installing as is. Chances are, the used struts are toast. It will be more work, but you will be happier with the results using new struts.

Thanks everyone

im just looking for a quick fix.

the car is in pretty rough shape anyway, so if the junkyard struts are a little shabby thats ok.

You bet its a rough ride with NO air in the struts.

i felt like i was a gangsta.

Thanks again

Thanks everyone

im just looking for a quick fix.

the car is in pretty rough shape anyway, so if the junkyard struts are a little shabby thats ok.

You bet its a rough ride with NO air in the struts.

i felt like i was a gangsta.

Thanks again

I know what you mean there :)

When I first bought my 91, there was a slight leak in the front struts. It rapidly became a big leak. Every morning I would start out on the bump stops, it would rise up a little for about 10 minutes then the computer would throw an error code and shut off the compressor and down it would go.

On the plus side you could throw it into a corner with NO body lean on the front and it looked really cool (from the front).

I picked up a couple used air struts for the front (cheapest, quickest way to get it back on the road) and solved the problem in the short term. (took about 2 hours to change both in my driveway, could do it faster next time)

Last spring, the rear got a slow leak. I meant to change the whole suspension out this summer for WhiteLine springs and KYB struts but the leak takes a couple days of sitting to deflate and it's fine while driving. My budget is just too tight right now to fix anything that is not completely broken.

The answer is yes (sorta). Any Legacy wagon from 92 to 94 will have the right struts to match to your car. (90 and 91 have slightly different mounting point that will mess up the height of the back of your car).

No. All 90-94 struts will bolt in directly.

The 90-91 cars have tapered springs in the rear, and the 92-94 don't. So the strut mounts are different. But the bolt pattern is the same on both and fits into either car the same.

No. All 90-94 struts will bolt in directly.

The 90-91 cars have tapered springs in the rear, and the 92-94 don't. So the strut mounts are different. But the bolt pattern is the same on both and fits into either car the same.

Interesting, I thought I read otherwise.

Good to know though. Since I need everything if I replace the air suspension, I could use non tapered springs on my 91 as long as I get the correct mounts.

Cool (they're cheaper) :)