Ultimate Subaru Message Board

watching Rides on TLC. They are customizing HHR's. One shop had a BRILLIANT:clap: idea, i mean f'n brilliant.

They put a turbo on the car, but since its too cramped under the hood, they put the turbo on the exhaust pipe after the rear axle under the floor. Now i can see where you would loose HP and throttle response possibly, but.... hrmmmmm .....

evil thoughts

very evil

*stares at outback*

nipper

watching Rides on TLC. They are customizing HHR's. One shop had a BRILLIANT:clap: idea, i mean f'n brilliant.

They put a turbo on the car, but since its too cramped under the hood, they put the turbo on the exhaust pipe after the rear axle under the floor. Now i can see where you would loose HP and throttle response possibly, but.... hrmmmmm .....

evil thoughts

very evil

*stares at outback*

nipper

lol nipper always trying to blow up his 2.5l engine.

Yeah those things have been around for awhile. Pretty terrible idea IMO, and I doubt there was no room under the hood. The exhaust going into that turbo is going to be pretty cold and going pretty slow, and look at how far the piping and coolant have to go.

I guess this way you don't need a new exhaust manifold, but the supercharger from the cobalt SS would have been a much better and easier way to do it.

Those shows kind of piss me off in general. I guess rides is better than pimp my ride though.

Yeah those things have been around for awhile. Pretty terrible idea IMO, and I doubt there was no room under the hood. The exhaust going into that turbo is going to be pretty cold and going pretty slow, and look at how far the piping and coolant have to go.

I guess this way you don't need a new exhaust manifold, but the supercharger from the cobalt SS would have been a much better and easier way to do it.

Those shows kind of piss me off in general. I guess rides is better than pimp my ride though.

i dont even watch the pimp. They wanted to keep the underhood stock, and its real tight under there (rember these are only 4 bangers from gm ...ewwww). They figured they would have a lump of melted plastic (engine parts) if they did it all under the hood.

nipper

I don't know whhat hhr's are, but this weekend on Spike TV, I watched a show about a twin turbo bolt-on kit for a corvette that was plumbed into the exhaust back by the mufflers.

It came with all the parts necessary, and it was a custom kit, no extreme modifications necessary. There were dual air intakes with custom pipes and cone filters, which ran to the turbos. The turbos were custom designed by Garrett for this application. The compressed intake air ran up to the front of the vehicle through large metal pipes that ran along the underside, i think under the rocker panels. The two pipes merged into a huge intercooler mounted in front of the radiator, and from there the intake air was routed into the throttle body.

Oil is supplied from the engine via stainless steel hoses and a dedicated electric oil pump. The setup was pretty cool, and the host of thhe show said there was 1 psi loss in boost by having the turbos mounted in the rear.

i found the website

www.ststurbo.com

matt

I don't know whhat hhr's are, but this weekend on Spike TV, I watched a show about a twin turbo bolt-on kit for a corvette that was plumbed into the exhaust back by the mufflers.

It came with all the parts necessary, and it was a custom kit, no extreme modifications necessary. There were dual air intakes with custom pipes and cone filters, which ran to the turbos. The turbos were custom designed by Garrett for this application. The compressed intake air ran up to the front of the vehicle through large metal pipes that ran along the underside, i think under the rocker panels. The two pipes merged into a huge intercooler mounted in front of the radiator, and from there the intake air was routed into the throttle body.

Oil is supplied from the engine via stainless steel hoses and a dedicated electric oil pump. The setup was pretty cool, and the host of thhe show said there was 1 psi loss in boost by having the turbos mounted in the rear.

i found the website

www.ststurbo.com

matt

you just want me to get in trouble :grin:

nipper

(rember these are only 4 bangers from gm ...ewwww). They figured they would have a lump of melted plastic (engine parts) if they did it all under the hood.

nipper

Actually that GM 4-cyl is very, very durable and capable of good numbers on stock internals. There's a drag racing manual made by GM floating around that details how to make up to 1000hp with it. Actually I have it right here (28mb pdf) if you want to take a look.

Plus I wouldn't want my turbos under the car towards the rear where all sorts of rocks and junk will get flung up at it.

Do I really have to point out that your outback came with the space under the hood to fit a turbo? Bolt on parts. It may be a lot of bolts, but it is bolt on. Now you have to find a turbo legacy that's been T-boned so the front is fine.

trouble maker.

my next house will have a garage.

nipper

Yeah, the subarus will allow room for a turbo or supercharger to fit pretty easily. There was a time a few months ago where I couldn't sleep at night, because I was trying to mentally piece together a supercharger setup for my Legacy.

Then I decided I didn't want to mess with my reliable ride. I will get a more powerful car next time around...

Matt