Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 Legacy u-joints

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Campwhite

Campwhite

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

I am trying to find any info on where to find driveshaft u-joint replacements for 98 legacys to avoid having to buy a whole driveshaft.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,269 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

i'm sure you can but them, but why not just get a used shaft, or the at least the half with both u joints.

why do you need the u joints? what's the car doing.?

I am trying to find any info on where to find driveshaft u-joint replacements for 98 legacys to avoid having to buy a whole driveshaft.

#3 Campwhite

Campwhite

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Replaced rear diff three weeks ago because of noise coming from rear end with slight vibration when letting off the accelerator at high speeds, we had it lifted up and noise was coming from front diff bearing or driveshaft u-joint. During replacement of diff. I noticed that the back u-joint had grooves wore into it. The noise still remains but no where close to being as bad, same with vibration. I haven't been able to find any full driveshafts or halfs, and i am hoping to find a replament u-joint for a lot less then a driveshaft.

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,269 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

have you tried "car-part.com" ??? i have a shaft out of a 97 obw, but i may need part of it. i'm not very smart about drive shafts, but i know thw front u-joint is right next ot the support berring. are you sure it's the u-joint??

i don't even know if the ujoints are replaceable. search the salvage yards for a shaft.

john

Replaced rear diff three weeks ago because of noise coming from rear end with slight vibration when letting off the accelerator at high speeds, we had it lifted up and noise was coming from front diff bearing or driveshaft u-joint. During replacement of diff. I noticed that the back u-joint had grooves wore into it. The noise still remains but no where close to being as bad, same with vibration. I haven't been able to find any full driveshafts or halfs, and i am hoping to find a replament u-joint for a lot less then a driveshaft.

#5 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

Go to junk yard dog and type in your request, they will then post it and you will get offers from lots of places that have them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users