Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback, auto transmission, gets stuck/jerks in 2nd/3rd gear

I really hope someone can help me. I have a 2000 Outback Limited with approx. 109,000 miles. It has this intermitent problem that never seems to act up when it's at the mechanic's shop, so it eludes categorization. The check engine light is on and points towards a throttle sensor (which I've already paid hansomely to have replaced) and the AT OIL Light flashes like crazy.

The problem goes like this: From first gear to second is no problem. But then, in 2nd gear, it won't shift smoothly, so it gets up to around 3000 RPMs, and it acts like it is stuck there, and then it jerks/rough shifts into 3rd. The entire experience is very unsettling.

Does anyone have a clue?

Much thanks,

Josh

I really hope someone can help me. I have a 2000 Outback Limited with approx. 109,000 miles. It has this intermitent problem that never seems to act up when it's at the mechanic's shop, so it eludes categorization. The check engine light is on and points towards a throttle sensor (which I've already paid hansomely to have replaced) and the AT OIL Light flashes like crazy.

The problem goes like this: From first gear to second is no problem. But then, in 2nd gear, it won't shift smoothly, so it gets up to around 3000 RPMs, and it acts like it is stuck there, and then it jerks/rough shifts into 3rd. The entire experience is very unsettling.

Does anyone have a clue?

Much thanks,

Josh

Well, you're really going to want to hear from nipper on this board, since he's much more in tune with the guts of these ATs than I am, but the fact that you said the AT OIL light is flashing pretty much tells you that something in the control circuits for the AT is acting up. 16 flashes of the AT OIL light at startup is a failure indicator that should tell your mechanic to poll the TCU (transmission control unit - one of the computer boxes) so the exact error code can be extracted. There are procedures for doing this pretty well documented on this board already, so I'd suggest that if you want to do it yourself you read this old thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55422&highlight=AT+OIL+light+read+codes

You'll want to read about halfway down the thread to OB99W's posting taking you to some sites off the board that detail exactly how to read the codes. Not too difficult if you're handy with tools and a voltmeter!

Well, you're really going to want to hear from nipper on this board, since he's much more in tune with the guts of these ATs than I am, but the fact that you said the AT OIL light is flashing pretty much tells you that something in the control circuits for the AT is acting up. 16 flashes of the AT OIL light at startup is a failure indicator that should tell your mechanic to poll the TCU (transmission control unit - one of the computer boxes) so the exact error code can be extracted. There are procedures for doing this pretty well documented on this board already, so I'd suggest that if you want to do it yourself you read this old thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55422&highlight=AT+OIL+light+read+codes

You'll want to read about halfway down the thread to OB99W's posting taking you to some sites off the board that detail exactly how to read the codes. Not too difficult if you're handy with tools and a voltmeter!

Someone call me?

First question, when was the last time the transmission oil was changed. The flashing light is telling you something was wrong the previous run of the car. It can be one of a few things, so you really need to read the codes.

Can be the a solenoid which controls harshness of shifts

Can be the b solenoid which controls the lockup torque converter

Can be the dropping resistor

Can be a gummed up valve

Really need the code. Luckily over the years there are less and less parts in the tranny, so the computer is fairly clear on what the filure is.

nipper

I had the same problem with my '98 OB (135K miles) except I never got the AT light flash.

I found that the transmission cooling lines to the radiator were basically clogged (very little flo) and that there was some crud on some of the spinning parts of the tranny.

Cleaned the lines and replaced the fluid a couple of times and added an in-line oil filter from an older SUBY. I know that starting in '99 they started using a spin on cartridge filter but in my case the extra filter has kept the tranny working great for almost three years

Someone call me?

First question, when was the last time the transmission oil was changed. The flashing light is telling you something was wrong the previous run of the car. It can be one of a few things, so you really need to read the codes.

Can be the a solenoid which controls harshness of shifts

Can be the b solenoid which controls the lockup torque converter

Can be the dropping resistor

Can be a gummed up valve

Really need the code. Luckily over the years there are less and less parts in the tranny, so the computer is fairly clear on what the filure is.

nipper

I had the same problem with my '98 OB (135K miles) except I never got the AT light flash.

I found that the transmission cooling lines to the radiator were basically clogged (very little flo) and that there was some crud on some of the spinning parts of the tranny.

Cleaned the lines and replaced the fluid a couple of times and added an in-line oil filter from an older SUBY. I know that starting in '99 they started using a spin on cartridge filter but in my case the extra filter has kept the tranny working great for almost three years

i think 1991 it was part of a recall to install a spin on filter. You can still get the kit from subaru from what ive been told.

Would be nice if he just had clogged lines (which can kill a tranny) but i think he may have a more serious fault.

nipper