Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things to look for in '84 Brat?

Jurrel

I am going to be looking at a 1984 Turbo, AT Brat, and would like to know what are the known trouble spots on it. Anything would help such as common rust spots, any known issues with suspension or interior.

I know that the EA81T arent always the best of engines, and this one does appear to have at least a blown gasket as there is antifreeze in the tailpipe, but the oil is suppose to be good. That does not bother me mucha s I plan on doing a tranny and engine swap once I am sure the body, suspension and drivetrain are good.

Any help would be great, and yes I have tried looking through the board for any known issues. The only thing I have seen is the issue with the turbo engines overheating.

Rust, rust and more rust!:eek:

If your going to swap engines rust is your only major concern.

Rather than list the spots that are a problem,

I'd suggest lifting it up or crawling under and looking at any/all rust spots.

I had 8" holes in my floor boards.

Rocker panels were rotten.

At the base of the front fenders rust collects.

Rust along the frame rails could be a problem depending on the rust.

I'd look at every inch of the underbody and make your assesment.

Don't buy a Utah car!:lol:

Good Luck

Glenn

as an t-brat owner its like this, a subaru is a subaru, for those that rust, all brats rust in the wheel wells and in the box around the shock mounts, rocker panels are not excluded either, the Auto behind the motor is prone to be on its way out sooner or later, EA81T well I've had three and only one was bad, take care of it and it will last. In any case give the car a good look over and talk him down as much as possible on the price:grin:

if this is the one i`m thinking of, a black 84 t-brat with pushbar for $550, i think its a good deal, heck, if you get it, and don`t like it, providing it is rust free, i`d give you $600:D

If your thinking of the one in Santa Rosa, then yes thats the one, I happen to be about a hour away from there in Sacramento.