Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cant't Get My XT to start!

Ok, Maybe I should not have tried this but I never had changed timing belts before but I just did it on My 88 XT. While I was at it I changed the crank and camshaft seals and replaced the oil pump and seals. When I took the belt off the right side of the engine I turned the gear on that side a little. I moved it back to the spot where I thought it was and completed my work. I only went as fas as putting the belts back on just in case the car would not start. Of course when the time came it would not start. It will just sit there and crank. I have spark and the gas is getting there it just will not turn over. I have to admit I don't have the greatest tools but I thought I could do it. The chilton manual sure does not give much help in how to do this. Just wondering if anybody can give me some advice on what I might be able to do. I figured if anybody could maybe give me some advice maybe you guys could. Thanks.

First do this.

Crank the engine over by hand until the pointer on the bell housing is lined-up with the middle of the three cam timing marks. Then check the timing belt pulleys, the little hole on one side should be straight up, the one on the other side should be straight down. It really dose not matter if the one on the drivers side is up or down, as long as the pulleys are 180 degrees apart.