Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LOL

No seriously, I've been worried about my EJ25's headgaskets forever, and today the engine block CRACKED.

blew1.jpg

On the four lane...where theres no emergency lane...

blew2.jpg

Blew it all to hell, its not getting fixed.

blew3.jpg

Pricing my options, I'm staying away the EJ25's that are older than the 05's

Great car though, I'm sticking with them, I am thinking that massive water pit I drove through a while back might be the cause. Not sure.

If you got a fair bit of water in the cylinder then that could of caused a rod the break (because you can't really compress water that well) and that might of blown a hole thru the case. But that would of only happend if the water was trapped somewhere and then under intence throttle made it's way in.. Just guessing. Unlikely.. I'd say your just unlucky like Keith.

Always sad to see a flat four like that...

<<Sorry man, but that looks like you broke a rod and broke through the block. That has 100% nothing to do with the headgasket issues. That's just bad luck. Sorry to see or hear. Keith>>

yeah, i have to second that MY2000 up had the external coolant leak. as long as you kept an eye on coolant level, you can live with that. i'm thinking you may have hydrolocked the engine temporarily and that did some damage when you drove through the water.

Actually, I went through the puddle two months ago.

Heres the video of when we got it running again:

http://lesbaru.com/stuff/lololol.wmv

I did full tune up when I got back, but I'm still clueless as to the exact cause.

I am no mechanic, but my guess is the cold water cracked the block, though it took a little time for it to blow apart.

John