Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electrical weirdness

driving home tonight.. digidash starts CLICKING like something rattling around.. sounded like a handfull of ball bearings being rolled around in a tin can.. dash is flickering. temp gauge was pegged at high even though car was cold; also the turbo light was on whenever the car was moving but flickered on and off at a stop..

also, maybe urelated? .. car died a couple times at stoplights.. RPMs dropped and died. I don't have the timing set right yet but that hasn't been a problem so far. any ideas?

the alternator is NEW :(

i will probably start by checking the grounds.. i can't remember at the moment where i grounded the main engine wiring harness at because i didn't want to remove an intake bolt to ground it in the stock location... the nor remembering is bugging me but i don't know if that's my imagination torturing me or what..

extra grounds? like finding better spots for the stock grounds? where did you add yours, caleb? thanks

I've used the spare tire bracket, it's nice and handy and you can wrap your ground wire around it and wrap it in PVC tape (in case you need to remove the support for more engine room).

Check the alt, too, just for laughs, and the alt ground and belts. The ONLY other similar problem I've seen where the alt wasn't the culprit is on my dad's D/R wagon. When you hit the brake the 4WD HI light comes on. But that has other electrical gremlins.