Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

91 Legacy Head gasket

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jchipper

jchipper

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • NorCal

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Hello guys,

This is my first post here. I hope this is the right forum for this. Anyway here is my question. I have a 91 Subaru Legacy that I bought May of this yr, and now the head gasket is blown because there is exhaust gas in the coolent and it always overheats and so I drive it around with the rad cap loose. How hard is it to change the head gasket's? anything I should know before I dive into it?

Thanks a bunch

#2 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

HG is a pretty involved job (at least, on my scale). It involves basically taking off the entire top end of the engine - not an easy task for an unskilled person. Easy for a skilled person though.

Pick up a Chilton's or Haynes manual...this will give you all the necessary torque specs for when you pull the cams and etc.

#3 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hello guys,

This is my first post here. I hope this is the right forum for this. Anyway here is my question. I have a 91 Subaru Legacy that I bought May of this yr, and now the head gasket is blown because there is exhaust gas in the coolent and it always overheats and so I drive it around with the rad cap loose. How hard is it to change the head gasket's? anything I should know before I dive into it?

Thanks a bunch

Get a factory service manual off ebay or craigs list.
This is soo much better than hayes or chiltons.
Not too bad of work if you have some tools and skill.

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

some folks have changed the gaskets without removing the engine. You would have a lot more clearance and could change some of the seals which should be due about now if you removed it though.

#5 jchipper

jchipper

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • NorCal

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

ok... Thanks for the imput.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users