Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:grin: Subaru Impreza, 2.0 litre GX Sport 2001 model non turbo

Loss of power at 4200 revs. Underload. Car keeps losing power when you put your foot down and revs hit 4200

If you put half throttle or keep under 4200 revs car runs fine. :feels like runin out of fuel,when i lift of gas its ok runs fine when i first start car,changed fuel filter put fuel cleaner in,stil the same,when i started the car in morning it pulls all the way past 6000,when warms up she starts her ************

When you say loss of power do you mean that the engine hesitating or is the car not moving forward?

If the engine is reving and the car is not moving under those condition I would says that it's the clutch. I just replace my clutch and near the end in anything but first I couldn't put the accelerator past 1/3 or it would just spin.

BTW if you plan to do the clutch yourself. It's easier to pull the engine or move the engine than to move the tranny. There are too many things to disconnect to move the tranny. it was a 16 hour job for me to do it via the tranny method.

BW

I feel very confident saying it's a mass airflow sensor.
Always jumping to the expensive parts, eh? :-p

When my MAF was breaking, it exhibited all kinds of symptoms, including power loss - at all ends of the RPM spectrum however.

Ericem, broken sensors don't always throw codes. My MAF didn't throw a code until I physically broke it and it was performing incorrectly for a week before I blew compressed air into it and broke it.

The reason why I say mass airflow sensor, is that when the ECU gets a bad reading from that sensor, it goes into a kind of "safe mode" and does not let the engine rev past a certain RPM. It's usually 3k rpm, but each car has its own little idiosyncrasies, so yours might allow it to go to 4k rpm.

The reason why I say mass airflow sensor, is that when the ECU gets a bad reading from that sensor, it goes into a kind of "safe mode" and does not let the engine rev past a certain RPM. It's usually 3k rpm, but each car has its own little idiosyncrasies, so yours might allow it to go to 4k rpm.

I agree, your in limp mode. This happens because of a major emissions fault, or a vehical speed sensor is dead.

Does your CEL work when you first start the car?

nipper

When you first go to start the car... do you see the CHECK ENGINE light come on and then go off once the engine has started?

How old is your exhaust? Possibly a broken up cat?

And if you pull fine with half throttle, but it won't go at full throttle I would suspect the engine running too rich. O2 sensor?

When you first go to start the car... do you see the CHECK ENGINE light come on and then go off once the engine has started?

How old is your exhaust? Possibly a broken up cat?

And if you pull fine with half throttle, but it won't go at full throttle I would suspect the engine running too rich. O2 sensor?

engine light ok,changed the fuel filter,put fuel cleaner in stil the same,but when i start it in morning it pulls all the way two 6000+

when was the last time fuel filter was replaced?

Also you might want to run a gas line conditioner/fuel injector cleaner with your next gas up.

done the fuel filter,put fuel cleaner in still the same,but when i started it in morning it revs ok,its like when it gets hot thats when she starts splutering,,i can get it 2 go over 4200revs,but i hav 2 gently lift of and gently put back down.