Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I saw the all-new upcoming 250hp turbo outback

Guest HBDad

At a recent Subaru car survey, 30 Outback owners including myself got to check out the all-new turbo Outback!! Right off the bat, my question: why put twin turbo on a 4 cylinder engine instead of a 6? Oh well...

All in all, the car looks very similar in shape to the current Outback, with some redesigns in a lot of areas. Unfortunetely, they wouldn't let us pop the hood for a looksie. Even without that under the hood viewing, it was clear that this was an all-new beast.

For one, the interior as quite different. The seats seemed a lot more ergonomic and the leather seemed to be of much higher quality. The entire dash is lower profile and sleeker looking. A DVD navigation screen as seen on the new Legacy is now a feature (although the screen was not actually in the dash at the time). More noticable is that there is slightly more headroom (still needs more, though) than before.

As for the exterior, the biggest changes I think feature-wise was the inclusion of a single double-sized moonroof. Finally the driver can actually enjoy the benefits of an open moonroof as opposed to the back seat passengers getting all of the fun! As for that lady there who said it would be too noisy, well i say don't buy it with the moonroof then if you don't understand what a moonroof is meant for!!!

Also, the paint-job shown was NOT two-tone... a controversial move in a long controversal subject to Subaru fans. I for one LOVE two tone normally, but this car looked SO beautiful without it. After they showed us photoshopped mockups of what the car would look like two toned, I voted for non-two-tone (the two-tone layout they showed us looked like a ****ty afterthought). I for one was actually hoping that the new Outback two-tone would actually be more burlier-looking and perhaps instead of paint, be composed of some sort of differently colored plastic rock-guard material instead. Oh well...

Another weird feature that's always been of debate is the idea of bringing back the hood scoop. They showed us mockups with and without. The car on the floor was without, and I for one tend to prefer it stay that way.

A BIG applause came from me when I saw that the butt-ugly single taillight design thingy that has always plagued Outbacks is gone! No longer is the Subaru badge hidden behind the ugly over-sized reflector material. Now there are two tail lights and the space in between is free of visually distracting obstructions. Personally, I'm not sure why Subaru ever let this design ugliness ever get past the 98 Outback model...

Here are things outstanding from the survey that I hope is included:

Full McIntosh sound system... STANDARD

OnStar...STANDARD (and paid for through the warranty period)

A SIX CYCLINDER twin Turbo Model

A foldaway third row seat since Subaru is dragging its feet on a seven seater...)

Oh, by the way, under a car cover in the survey area was the very distinctive shape of the B11S concept car (I peaked under the car cover and confirmed it as such). Apparantly, Subaru is seriously considering putting it into production. Perhaps we should start some sort of online petition to get the thing made?

Guest CROSSTBOLT

How did YOU get invited to this shindig? How can I get invited to either the Forester or Baja shindig? Do the Subaru design deciders really listen to the guest suggestions? Since Subaru is about number last in auto production you would think they would have as a top priority keeping their loyalists and enthusiasts happy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Karl

Guest HBDad

The Twin Turbo Outback is only a 4 cylider. I was hoping for a Twin Turbo 6 cylinder. I don't know why the HP would be so low considering the new Turbo Legacy is 276HP in Japan and I've heard anywhere from 300-350Hp here when it comes out...

Outback owners in my area were called up since the survey was here. I accepted (made $100 for attending as well!).

Guest rigfennid

Any chance you got pictures of this lovely new beast? I have a 97 Outback and LOVE the look the hoodscoop gives it. The news about the moonroof is awesome too, and must seem like a gift from the gods for you, HBDad. Seriously, I know a guy that's 6' 10" and unless he's in his Tahoe, he loves the headroom in the Outback. Are you part Sasquatch or something???? More headroom in an Outback??? Dude, you've GOT TO BE KIDDING!! Just how tall are you, anyway?

Anyway, if you by any chance got some pics or promo material that you could scan, that'd be much appreciated.

Guest Setright

The Japanese tend to use RON 100 fuel, and in combination with less stringent emission regs...well, more power just isn't hard to do.

Guest Fernely

Well the motor going it the turbo forester and turbo baja it a single turbo 2.5. The next gen Legacy was just given a write up in Car and Driver its going to have 3 engine chioces a 2.5 non-turbo ~165-170 hp, 2.5 turbo ~250 hp, and an H-6 ~250 hp. It seems to me that one or a couple of these motors would make their way into the outback not a twin turbo motor. Did you actually open the hood and see two turbos? ;)

Guest remarcable

I personally can't wait to find a salvaged engine out of one of these beauties.

I am so glad subaru is finally listening to what people want. Faster cars!

Guest Legacy777

Not calling you a lier, but subaru has dropped the the twin turbo 4-cylinder setup in favor of a single turbo setup.

I've definitely heard rumors of a twin turbo six, however they're just that, rumors. We'll just have to wait and see....