Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

First time posting. I've searched extensively and found much of what I need regarding the speedometer issue with '99 era Legacy's. This board is great resource. My issue seems to be consistent with others, speedo intermittently cuts in and out while driving in my '99 4EAT Legacy Sedan. It has the analog odometer so that stops as well. Cruise always works fine and sometimes I can get the speedo to start again with the windshield stalk tap.

Seems like the consensus is that the speedometer head should be replaced. They can be purchased for around $150 from most of the online parts dealers but there was some discussion on the Printed Circuit Board in some of the older posts. That part is only about $45 and I was wondering if anyone had tried just replacing that part? If that works I can keep the same gauge and not have to worry about having the odometer reset. If I do end up replacing the whole thing can I set the odometer myself? I know odometers are kind of a sketchy area because of the obvious opportunity for fraud but thought I would ask anyway. I'm would actually dial in some extra mileage to make up for what I have probably missed over the past year or so.

Thanks,

desmo900

i have a 95 that has begun to act funny. so i'm just learning abou this. but from what i've read so far.... it could be the speed sensor on the transmission, but it's cheaper to pull the speedometer and clean the contacts first. it may be the speedometer it self, but cleaning the contacts doesn't cost if you do it yourself. used speedo are an option to save some money.

and i have read that you can turn the numbers on the speedo, but only forward. never turn them back. as far as adding miles for thoses you may have missed this year, even if the spedometer isn't working the odometer may be. so which is it speedo, odo or both not working.?

i think in my case it's the speed sensor on the trans, because i just had it swapped and everything worked fine before the swap.

john

Hello,

First time posting. I've searched extensively and found much of what I need regarding the speedometer issue with '99 era Legacy's. This board is great resource. My issue seems to be consistent with others, speedo intermittently cuts in and out while driving in my '99 4EAT Legacy Sedan. It has the analog odometer so that stops as well. Cruise always works fine and sometimes I can get the speedo to start again with the windshield stalk tap.

Seems like the consensus is that the speedometer head should be replaced. They can be purchased for around $150 from most of the online parts dealers but there was some discussion on the Printed Circuit Board in some of the older posts. That part is only about $45 and I was wondering if anyone had tried just replacing that part? If that works I can keep the same gauge and not have to worry about having the odometer reset. If I do end up replacing the whole thing can I set the odometer myself? I know odometers are kind of a sketchy area because of the obvious opportunity for fraud but thought I would ask anyway. I'm would actually dial in some extra mileage to make up for what I have probably missed over the past year or so.

Thanks,

desmo900