Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 Legacy Speedometer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 desmo900

desmo900

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • New England

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:15 AM

Hello,

First time posting. I've searched extensively and found much of what I need regarding the speedometer issue with '99 era Legacy's. This board is great resource. My issue seems to be consistent with others, speedo intermittently cuts in and out while driving in my '99 4EAT Legacy Sedan. It has the analog odometer so that stops as well. Cruise always works fine and sometimes I can get the speedo to start again with the windshield stalk tap.

Seems like the consensus is that the speedometer head should be replaced. They can be purchased for around $150 from most of the online parts dealers but there was some discussion on the Printed Circuit Board in some of the older posts. That part is only about $45 and I was wondering if anyone had tried just replacing that part? If that works I can keep the same gauge and not have to worry about having the odometer reset. If I do end up replacing the whole thing can I set the odometer myself? I know odometers are kind of a sketchy area because of the obvious opportunity for fraud but thought I would ask anyway. I'm would actually dial in some extra mileage to make up for what I have probably missed over the past year or so.

Thanks,

desmo900

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

i have a 95 that has begun to act funny. so i'm just learning abou this. but from what i've read so far.... it could be the speed sensor on the transmission, but it's cheaper to pull the speedometer and clean the contacts first. it may be the speedometer it self, but cleaning the contacts doesn't cost if you do it yourself. used speedo are an option to save some money.

and i have read that you can turn the numbers on the speedo, but only forward. never turn them back. as far as adding miles for thoses you may have missed this year, even if the spedometer isn't working the odometer may be. so which is it speedo, odo or both not working.?

i think in my case it's the speed sensor on the trans, because i just had it swapped and everything worked fine before the swap.

john

Hello,

First time posting. I've searched extensively and found much of what I need regarding the speedometer issue with '99 era Legacy's. This board is great resource. My issue seems to be consistent with others, speedo intermittently cuts in and out while driving in my '99 4EAT Legacy Sedan. It has the analog odometer so that stops as well. Cruise always works fine and sometimes I can get the speedo to start again with the windshield stalk tap.

Seems like the consensus is that the speedometer head should be replaced. They can be purchased for around $150 from most of the online parts dealers but there was some discussion on the Printed Circuit Board in some of the older posts. That part is only about $45 and I was wondering if anyone had tried just replacing that part? If that works I can keep the same gauge and not have to worry about having the odometer reset. If I do end up replacing the whole thing can I set the odometer myself? I know odometers are kind of a sketchy area because of the obvious opportunity for fraud but thought I would ask anyway. I'm would actually dial in some extra mileage to make up for what I have probably missed over the past year or so.

Thanks,

desmo900

#3 kudd

kudd

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Lincoln,VT

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

Too new for my blood, so I can't help you. Good luck!

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

I have a complete 99 dash cluster, $75+15 shipping. Lmdew@hotmail.com. There 77K on it I think.

#5 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

Any check engine lights on? VSS might be shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users