Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Skip...

...another Loyale A/C question.

The dash button for A/C has three positions: up (off), middle (A/C economy), and all the way in (full A/C). How does your blue rocker switch address this, assuming you have a two-position (on/off) rocker switch? Is it A/C in the full-on position? I'm guessing that there are more than two wires where I need to splice in my rocker switch. Or does the push button control a vent being half-open or full-open, as well as on/off for A/C?

Tom, the second detent or all the way in position is called the AC MAX position on GLs.

On most other cars this is called the "Recirculate" position.

It does not (on all my cars any way) control fan speed it mearly closes the outside air vent for the ventilation system.

As a result the cabin air is "recirculated" and is suppose to provide maximum cooling.

The AC "Economy" position you speak of is not found on my 87 through 89 GL series cars, maybe the newer "Loyales" are different?

The microswitch I spoke of controls the operation of the AC compressor and it's systems. You could check this on your car by observing the movement of the control rod and the operation of the micro switch.

Hope this helps