Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Denver mad scientists - transmission lab: Lab ingredients/forumula FOUND!

BeefaRu

Hey gang,

Who wants to open a transmission lab to drop an RX full time dual range from 3.7 to 4.11? Solo scientist or lab group... whoever is interested, but I think its about time we figured this out.

I believe I can get my hands on one right here in town as early as monday or tuesday. We need the legacy parts and you guys probably know better than I, but I believe 90-92 may have the best chance of fitting.

We can just forge ahead with parts, or.....ShawnW if you can access the builder through your channels to find out, that would help immensely. Through my channels, I can probably access one of his kids and they may know something.

Chime in guys and let me know.

Eric

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an RX box already but you definately should obtain the one you have a lead on in case mine is toasted. :)

I need to do a similar swap for JMR052 so I obviously am up for it. I just need a 4.11 legacy to crack along side it. I would love some help figuring it out. I can't do it this weekend but maybe next?

If you could also put in the 1.59:1 low range gear set (or at least see if it fits) that would be awesome.
Some guys here in Australia have used that gearset in Liberty AWD boxes, so I assume it would fit with little to no modifications. Give it a go, AWD with center diff lock and a good low range would be nice.

I am ready to get my hands dirty!:brow: Let me know what I can do.I am a pretty good junkyard rat so let me know if I need to look for anything in particular.I am excited!:headbang:

Jerry, we need legacy parts. Shawn is mostly likely to know the specific ones. Can we avoid having to buy 2-3 complete legacy trannys to get this done?

Sometimes helping is just moral support, helping carry stuff to the washers, check the FSM's etc. :)

Ill be honest I don't want a huge crowd for this as it gets very distracting. Just a team of maybe 3-5 people be okay and once we get it figured out then maybe do more people around so it goes faster?

I also have a 3.9 D/R 5 speed tranny torn apart in pieces so we could snag the low out of it if its possible. Mostly we just need a Legacy 5spd 4.11.

..Ill be honest I don't want a huge crowd for this as it gets very distracting. Just a team of maybe 3-5 people be okay and once we get it figured out then maybe do more people around so it goes faster?

I also have a 3.9 D/R 5 speed tranny torn apart in pieces so we could snag the low out of it if its possible. Mostly we just need a Legacy 5spd 4.11.

Shawn...low out of the 3.9.....this just keeps better & better!!

I need to take my car in next week. Mechanic usually has 4.11's hanging around. I'll see if there's anything available for us.

I agree with keeping # of people down, and not to sound like a slacker, but I need to knuckle down on a book someone is ready to put 10grand down on for publishing...if I'd just write it. So I thought I'd get the "lab rat" tranny, let the scientists get to work, and just poke my head in every now & then for an update. Of course I can & am willing to do more if you need me to, but I'm happy to stay out of the way & help in any way I can.

--E

Good news gang,

Got an RX today, $300 for all but wheels & water pump from the guy who works on my car, which is great, but EVEN BETTER......

He called the builder of my wagon and took down the recipe for my transmission......and.....he said he has all the tranny parts we need to make it happen.

Lights..........

Curtain........

And now......(drumroll)........ :burnout:

The mysterious massively mixed RX to 4:11 transmission parts list:

CASE:

RX full time/diff lock - or... XT6 case may work

RING & PINION:

Legacy -- grind/shave ring gear to fit into the RX box

1ST, 2ND, REVERSE-BOTH SIDES:

Standard hi/lo loyale/GL 1st,2nd, reverse

Pinion tube of legacy

TRANSFER CASE: (only if changing from diff lock to legacy viscous LSD)

Legacy xfer case

Legacy viscous coupler

OPTIONAL:

Forester 5th gear

If doing legacy viscous coupler, diff lock vacume system can be re-used to engage low range with button instead of lever arm.

Nicely done. Lets do this thing! Let me see if I can clear out Saturday morning and early afternoon (gotta leave by 3:30)

Requested Recruits will be PM'd. Please dont be upset if you arent asked I want to keep #'s down for this.

*IF* the ONLY thing I want...is the Legacy Viscous coupler in the center....what do I need?

From what I have heard the RX viscous coupler is much more durable but of course a lot harder to find. Ill keep it in mind as we build them though...how to do that.

From what I have heard the RX viscous coupler is much more durable but of course a lot harder to find. Ill keep it in mind as we build them though...how to do that.

what? RXs are FT-lockable...not a VC center diff....I want the VC since it is more useable daily and on track/autox course.

Good news gang,

Got an RX today, $300 for all but wheels & water pump from the guy who works on my car, which is great, but EVEN BETTER......

Good work Eric on finding the RX and getting the magic mixture outta of the builder of your car so we at least have something to go off of. :headbang:

Oh notice that Eric didn't say he bought the RX for him ;):grin: and in total it's $350 since I wanted it as complete as possible, (without towing, though we might try and just drive it back, working that out over the next few days) Trans from it will go to Eric if the other deal falls through and I get my parts car I've been looking for!

Eric - actually just got off the phone with my brother-in-law and he is coming down to denver this week and can bring his trailer and go get the car for us more than likely. Going to call me back tomorrow and let me know when/if can do it.