Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Denver mad scientists - transmission lab: Lab ingredients/forumula FOUND!

BeefaRu

Nicely done. Lets do this thing!.....
Should I assume you have all parts on hand including RX?

If not, let me know & I'll hustle up an additional "formula" for the lab before the weekend.

Keith, give me a ring on your trailer status so I can call the seller for arrangements. Congrats on your (hopefully with tranny) parts car! --E

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Shawn are you good on parts? Sounds like this guy I'm grabbing the RX from probably has everything you need sitting there too. Going to grab the RX on Friday and could pick up a legacy tranny or two if the guy has them pulled.

Off topic a tad, yep parts RX...going to be used for help in the full (modified)restore of my daily driver RX and donate some parts to the lifted rig I don't need (rear discs, LSD) Haven't seen it in person yet but Eric got some good pictures of it. Pretty rusty but has alot of salavageable parts on it. Oh and it does run and drive, just typical massive over-heating problems..and 240k+ on it lol.

the true question is if the legacy viscous couple has to be used. the question of whether the final drive can be changed has come up a couple times in the last couple years, and every time, the conclusion is that it's impossible to do without using a matching center diff/pinion set. but if you can change to 4.111 and keep the locking center diff, I'm all over it.

and also if the real lo range will work

and heck...while you're in there, see if the front diff is interchangeable. if you can get the legacy front diff in there, then what WJM hinted at last spring is definately true, about using an EJ aftermarket front LSD in an EA box.

also, check if the 3.70 ring gear fits on the legacy carrier.

i got nada, zilch, nothin. I dont even have a job right now, :- (

I have spare time, but not enough gas in my car to drive from outside miami (60 miles) to somewhere in colorado.. and if i did i would visit the half of my friends who up and moved out there a few years back. I dont get to travel much though.

Yea Shawn are you good on parts? Sounds like this guy I'm grabbing the RX from probably has everything you need sitting there too. quote]

Any donor parts trannys are appreciated for sure.

I'll see what I can do, not going to pick any up if they are too much above JY prices, but after talking to the guy yesterday I think he'll let them go for cheap. Going to pick up the RX this afternoon and will bring extra cash with me and see what I can find.

Any donor parts trannys are appreciated for sure.
I called the mechanic with the parts. He'll double check to make sure he has them, then if all goes well, Keith may be able to pick up when he gets the RX. I offered to pay with card, but cash is king as is zero paper trail so we'll get it figured out.

Keith: He might be done early today and want to go home, so it might be a good idea to try to pick up the RX earlier than this afternoon. I'm in town & can help if needed.

I was supposed to be gone to a big hail storm in Columbus as of this am, but they called back & put me in a holding pattern till Sat or Mon.

--E

I called the mechanic with the parts. He'll double check to make sure he has them, then if all goes well, Keith may be able to pick up when he gets the RX. I offered to pay with card, but cash is king as is zero paper trail so we'll get it figured out.

Keith: He might be done early today and want to go home, so it might be a good idea to try to pick up the RX earlier than this afternoon. I'm in town & can help if needed.

I was supposed to be gone to a big hail storm in Columbus as of this am, but they called back & put me in a holding pattern till Sat or Mon.

--E

EEK! My trailer won't be down here until 4pm! I might just cruise up there, give him the cash and pull the RX out someplace around there and come back and get it then....

EEK! My trailer won't be down here until 4pm! I might just cruise up there, give him the cash and pull the RX out someplace around there and come back and get it then....

So I might come down and pick up that quarter window one of these days. Maybe in my RX once I get my new radiator in it;)

Lesson learned this morning: Don't lift a legacy tranny by yourself out of the back of an RX, you gotta do most of the lifting with your arms (if your short like me) to get it over back lip of the RX. Wrenched my shoulder so bad I'm headed to the doctor :mad:

Lesson learned this morning: Don't lift a legacy tranny by yourself out of the back of an RX, you gotta do most of the lifting with your arms (if your short like me) to get it over back lip of the RX. Wrenched my shoulder so bad I'm headed to the doctor :mad:

That really sucks man!Too bad I had to work today!:-\

Legacy trans disassembled.

RX tranny disassembled.

Cleaned both tranny's.

Theres a TON of differences in these units.

I see no need for the Legacy Viscous coupler. It looks like you can add the extender to the pinion shaft from the RX to make it still an "RX" trans with Legacy gears.

I also see no need to grind the differential area in the case. He may have been thinking of the rear diff where you'd have to do that.

Will take ALL of tomorrow to even come close to possibly getting the main case section back together.

Im still exploring on whether the lo gears from a non turbo 5 speed will fit/work.

Legacy trans disassembled......RX tranny disassembled.

....Cleaned both tranny's.......

Looks like Jerry and Keith were out. Did you have lab assistants?

This transmission formula is being recalled from memory 10 years after the build. There's no guarantee it's perfect. Part of me wonders if the transmission I have (version 2) is simpler with minimal RX changes and he was recalling a mixture of versions 1 & 2 of the tranny. Perhaps not, and besides 4:11 R&P you need 1st 2nd reverse of loyale and legacy pinion shaft.

It's interesting the ring gear fits fine, but the "formula" says it needs to be shaved. All I can say is hopefully the Subaru gods will smile upon you tomorrow and you will be enlightened. Good luck

--E

DUDE, you need to go easier on yourself