Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's not my car, it's a friend of mine, however, he requires some sort of trailer hitch with a 2-inch receiver, for the mounting of a bike rack on the back. He had a rather unfortunate experience involving him, a roofmount bike rack, a sweet Kona Jake, and the garage. Anyway, I said I'd ask for him, he'll be getting a link to this site, and perhaps will feel compelled to join our merry little band! What/where can he find this trailer hitch? Is it custom fab only? I doubt it, as I've seen several of these rigs running around with trailer hitches that looked quite spiffy. The car, specifically, is an 02 Outback Impreza Sport. I'm not up on the newer suby's, stick to EA, myself, so if that means anything significant to someone, let me know. Greatly appreciated, folks, from both of us.

CR

Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tight both have hitches that will fit. Google trailer hitch and you'll find plenty of options.

Installing is a quick simple bolt on. Figure about $130 plus shipping or you might be able to find a local supplier and pay about the same as delivery.

You could also check U-Haul, some of the larger shops will install one of theirs, I don't know what their prices are like.

Don't forget the cost of the bike rack in the total.

I used http://www.hitchesonline.com/ for a hitch and 3 bike rack setup.

I just had a 1-1/4 hitch put on my Impreza Sedan. Here is the link to the place that installed it in Seattle (if your friend ever gets over to this side of the mountains).

http://www.racknroad.com/trailer-hitches-and-accessories.html

I learned to leave the installation to experts. I installed a stock hitch to a 2001 Forester and it involves about 1-2 hours and three people. One to read instructions, one to bench press the hitch into position, and one to run the socket wrench while the bench pressing guy swears at you to hurry up. $80 for an install is well worth it.

I have done the "oops my bike is on the roof there goes my garage gutter" before and definitely recommend the hitch bike rack as the way to go. It also allows me access to my trunk on the Sedan. I was using one of those bike racks that strap to the trunk and I was also concerned about warping the hatch.

One to read instructions, one to bench press the hitch into position, and one to run the socket wrench while the bench pressing guy swears at you to hurry up.

first you read before you drill and bolt, but that's not important. what's important is that the bench press victim needs to adequately lubrcated so as not to squeek when pressing. a six pack minimum, 12 pack better.

Good luck in finding a 2" receiver for a modern Subaru. I've looked all over for one, and if it exists, the manufacturer is keeping it a secret!

i don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that the reason these guys are looking for a "2 inch " receiver for their bike rack isn't because that's the only size rack avaiable, but because there are tons more 2" receivers on the market. there must be a smaller receiver version for the bike rack. the 2" receiver is a class 3 . the bike rack is going to carry 300(?) pounds max. how much can a bike weigh?

there has to be a 1+1/4" version. tell them to ask.