Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who has schematics for EJ stuff? pinouts for the ECUs?

Ratty2Austin

Weellll.... so I got a harness and intake and ECU from PAP for a score of a deal at 31 bucks :brow:

but....

now that I got the correct intake manifold on the EJ22 in my impreza.. I need to splice in the new ECU... I am not doing a full harness swap, due to it being an impreza and splicing in a legacy harness... a non complete one too (I did not grab the dash components, just the harness between engine=ECU=fuseboxes)

I am wondering if anyone has info on the pinouts for the ECUs, specifically the EJ18 in a 94 impreza L MT5 AWD wagon, and a 91 legacy L AWD 4EAT wagon.... or.. the simplified harness for EJ-EA installs? (kennedy?)

it sucks that I have to do an EJ conversion on a car thats already EJ! :rolleyes:

but its dead now, so the ball is rollin!!! Need to get it running soon, as it needs to pass emissions before the end of OCT to be licensed....

(and the sooner I get it running good, the sooner I can finish the offroad mods and play up at reiters/EC :burnout::brow: )

let me know if anyone has this I can get a copy or borrow, or? thanks!

I don't know, for some reason I was thinking that the engine wiring on the Imprezas were different then the Legacys, maybe it's just the body wiring.

you are correct as always- they are different.. thus the reason I got a different intake manifold (from what I have been using) *with* the corresponding ECU and wiring harness :-p

I am basically going to have a seperate harness for the engine, as it will be mostly stock legacy parts there.. and the existing impreza harness will just remain mostly unused/spliced into? I have to figure this all out.. but I am using a 91ish legacy motor and intake/electronics so the wires are all fubared up :-\

• 2 weeks later...

so i have been looking at the schematics Ive recieved from you (thanks!)

but its still a diffficult task, as I would like to do as little removing as possible.. or splicing for that matter-

idea I had, was to use the new ECU, and the new intake assembly with wiring, and use most of the existing harness...

the thing I would do is to (first I need a schematic for a 93/94 impreza with an EJ18)

make an adaptor to go between the correct terminals on the ECU connector to the harness side.. (aka, make an ECU adaptor) and any of the wires that are not in the EJ18 harness, I could run seperately (eg. knock sensor) to the engine..

as for the Engine side of things, I would do the same- I would just make an "adaptor" or maybe just hack off the engine plugs and install the correct ones that would work with the EJ22 harness...

any thoughts?

anyone have an 93/94 impreza FSM I could borrow? Corky?

(I dont really want to have the "rats nest" under the hood again if I can help it :-p )

oh, and I also am interested in buying/trading for an EJ22 stock Y pipe and related O2 sensor.

thanks again!

anyone have an 93/94 impreza FSM I could borrow? Corky?

Well I'll have to look in the motorhome, my personal manuals (93 to 97) have had the wiring diagrams combined so that I have a complete 1996 wiring diagram (well as complete as possible). In the motorhome I have all those manuals that Ken and I got from that guy in Canada a few years ago, I might have the early Impreza stuff still.

thats easy for you to do that on an EA car...

the problem I am having.....

is that I am going to be trying to EJ-convert... an EJ car! :rolleyes: aka 2 harness of equal sizes to deal with !!

I realize, but it seems to me you could do the same thing. strip the legacy harness down to the bare minimum (trying to leave as much of the harness in tact, definately was a major problem in getting mine to run, when we actually put in the time to strip the harness down to nothing, it started right up), feed the wires through the fender, and into the engine bay, and put the ECU under the dash like the legacy or EA. the crank and cam angle sensor wires, as well as O2 and MAF (cluster that comes through the firewall on the legacy) would have to be a little creative, unless the impreza's have the same hole above the pedals that comes out next to the strut tower....

I'll see if my buddy Kris can get me that same pinout for the imp.

Why are you messing with any of the wiring? The 1.8 stuff bolts right onto the 2.2 motor. The only thing you might have to deal with is an EGR valve and thats just a matter of drilling and tapping the head to accept the pipe.

well.... I WAS running it with the EJ18 stuff, but its not working properly (not just the EGR stuff..) I have had trouble with the ECU before I installed the EJ22.. like a random CEL that would pop on and cause default mode to turn on.. at random.. very annoying... the select monitor brought up an "Idle system malfunction" but all related parts to the idle system measured fine.. it stumped the techs at Carter too..

and the EJ18 wiring does not have a knock sensor for timing advance... and.. the EJ22 cars stock have always felt way more powerful than my impreza did WITH the EJ22 longblock in there.. so something is messed up and I would like to get the engine and ECU matched up better..

and.. Emissions is due! :-\ it was not going to pass with the default mode coming on all the time... heck.. it barely drives that way...

so a rewire is in order!

Did you try installing the 2.2 ECU to the 1.8 wiring and adding the couple wires for the knock sensor? Or are the 1.8 ecu plugs completely different?

the plugs on the ECU and where they go to the engine, are completely different.. on the legacy the engine harness plus are near the battery, on the impreza they are on the other side of the engine near the tranny...

on the ECU itself, there are 4 plugs on the legacy box, and 3 plugs on the impreza's (or something like that)

Looks great man. One ? is the air box hooked down?

yep, with a couple zip ties....

but I'm working on a cone filter adapter, so the air box won't be there for long...

Austin, I haven't been able to get ahold of Kris yet, so I don't have a good pinout....

would that work with a legacy 2.2 though? matt melon had a 95.5 impreza brighton, and it was ODBII, and it was even a 1.8... I just wonder if that would work....
I think it would be a lot easier to match up the engine wiring to to the Impreza harness then matching up the Legacy harness to the Impreza.