Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locking Center Diff Q

On the FT4WD 5 speed, is the center differential normaly in the "unlocked" position? I will be installing the tranny today but I'm not sure if I will be able to connect the circiut for the vacuum actuator. Would the car be safe to drive temporarily until I get that hooked up???

PS. Does anyone know if some of the wiring from the auto shifter can be use for that circuit?

wiring is not compatible from auto to manual...i'm sure you can cut and splice if you wanted to do something fancy with it, wire is wire so to speak. but nothing plug and play beween the two.

you do not want to drive with the diff lock locked. it is "locked" when the button is depressed and the lever is pulled. the lever is movable by hand, but you have to disconnect the actuator to give the cable some range of motion. then just switch the lever back and forth by hand (it's on the passengers side) to "lock" and "unlock" the center diff. i can't recall if forward or back is unlocked off the top of my head. FSM will show it.

if it's locked and you can't get it out, just don't install the rear half of the driveshaft, then it won't matter. install the rear half once you get the diff lock figured out. you'll need the front half installed to keep gear oil in the trans, as it seals the rear extension housing.

you can probably also supply vacuum or compressed air to the actuator to get it to move the lever...maybe...never done it but it may be possible.