Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru demolition derby

ok, this thread will be dedicated to the preperation and eventual destruction of my 86 gl 4wd wagon. we compete in the north carolina state fair derby each october.

i purchased the car this past winter from Meeky Moose as a replacement beater for my isuzu trooper. i have had an absolute BLAST with it, logging ~5000 trouble free miles in that time and countless hilarious acts of vehicular stupidity. it still runs like a top, but unfortunately the above mentioned acts rendered it pretty much beyond hopes of being street legal. so, it gets one final grand finale.

if we're lucky, we can make it survive the weekend and have at it again next year. it's height and low range gear will be tremendous advantages. it does have some key disadvantages such as weak sheetmetal, alot of rot in the subframes, and a motor VERY close to the radiator. hopefully with some decent driving we can make it last though. i'll post updates/pics as we go. as it sits now:

000_0804.jpg

000_0803.jpg

first off, ACK!!!!!

second off, weld some steel up into the existing framerails to stiffen them. also, skid plates and what i call "wrecker" bumpers are either easy to be had, or easy to make.. cruise the photo gallery for some ideas...

third off.. pics!! as they come

fourth, anyone who might whine about it needs to look at those pictures again. if this car is still running good, i actually feel that demolition derby aint that bad an idea.... which im shocked to find myself saying.

unfortunately, the rules for this event don't allow any re enforcing of any parts (except the driver door for safety reasons). there are tweaks you can do here and there and sneak past tech inspection to help out, but nothing obvious like plating the subframe/body or adding non oem bumpers.

hmmmmm... might wanna try and sneak some steel underneath the carpeting then. I only say so because you mentioned framerail rot.. and derbying a unibody car with rusted out framerails, i mean, yah.. it just doesnt sound very optimistic for "next year's performance"

Nice, I highly recommend using the rear bumper and and front fenders for your offensive. The reverse 2wd spin can get some good momentum in a short distance too. Just keep that radiator safe and don't bottom out that oil pan, and you'll be dandy. Make sure your fuel lines are in decent shape too :D Though even without water and oil I've seen those motors last a great deal longer than I thought mechanically possible! A good battery is also your best friend. Also if you can do the bull horns thru the hood! subarus blow some massive fire that way :D just curve them up infront of the block and out the top. BTw will they let you weld your doors shut? That helps big time! Exspecaily the rear latch.

Peace, Fishman

Yeesh. Those are the pictures from BEFORE the derby? That rear end looks worse than a loyale that I saw that was rear ended by a full sized pickup at 30mph. I can't believe you haven't pushed the radiator into the engine already. That seems to be what usually stops them, otherwise they just keep running with pretty extreme body damage. I might put a new bumper on it first just to get a little head start.

yep... like i said, lots of off road vehicular stupidity (but FUN) contributed to it's current condition, lol. the bulk of the rear damage is from a couple of high speed shots to trees (on PRIVATE property... i in no way advocate even bumping trees on public land, much less slamming into them). the front end and unseen suspension/unibody damage is a result of lots of imitations of low flying planes.:D

all very good suggestions for preperation/strategy guys... we've got this thing pretty figured out though, it's not our first go round;) keep them coming though, we're always open to the possibility of new things to try that have a good chance to get past tech inspection.

if you can weld up all the doors and spotwelds.if not run huge bolts though everything and hold it together that way.move the coil and and sensitive items as far away from the outside of the car as possible(ie coil where the spare tire goes.)

is it 4wd?pull the front axles,and weld up the rear.

take all of the unnessasary wires out.pull a wire with the car running.if there is no change remove it.that way wires for tailights or something dont short out and kill your fun.

DONT take direct hits to the front,avoid if all possible.

as far as hitting other cars,dont just smash into anything with tires on it.Instead try like all hell to take out the other cars steering or drive wheels.that way opponents die fast=less cars smashing into you.

one more thing if a car lines up to do a track shot to take out you front suspension on the drivers side,floor it so your driver's side door will take the hit.once they see your door they will slam on the breaks to avoid disqualification.

above all,have fun.

*Wrap your radiator hoses twice in ductape.unbolt your radiator so its free to move.put a 5/8" washer where the Tstat is supposed to be.wrap your tierod ends in ductape(slight insurance).

reinforce your shifter linkage so it won't fall apart.

find areas in the rule book that you can bend and get away with.

does your car need to bounce in the the suspension is pressed?if not jack your car up so that the shocks start to pull apart(not sure if possible) then stuff rags into the shocks to give you more height(=more damage to other cars)

If the shocks dont pull apart drill a big hole into them and stuff them with rags.

i'd keep it 4wd, as those tracks can be a bear to find traction on (va state fair is horrible, hopefully y'all use clay and not sand)

and hopefully they class you to face the other four bangers (aka the "bumble bee" class) and you should own them (you're hosed if you face anyone with a crown vic or a 70s caddy)

• 3 weeks later...

derby was this past weekend. after some minor fuel delivery issues friday night, it ran great for the rest of the weekend. made it into the championship with 20 other cars, came in about 6th or 7th. due to a hit on the driver front, the main harness was cut into and grounded out by some sheetmetal. blew a fusible link and lost electrical power. spliced the link back together afterwards, and it still runs like a champ.

held up MUCH better than i expected. the back ends of these wagons are surprisingly pretty damn strong. i took and layed on a number of hard hits with the rear. some pics here. i'll throw a radiator in it and keep on using it in events to come.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/optmusprimer/derby/

Well... I respect so much everyone, and their own desitions... But I really HATE to see demolition derbys... Specially with a Suffering Subie on it.

• Maybe is Because My Heart feels its pain... Its Horror... Its Fear...

• Maybe is Because that Old Subie that in USA just cost around $ 500.ºº Here cost around $ 2,000.ºº and maybe is the Dream of a poor Family.

• Maybe is Because I have worked too hard for too many years, repairing and takin´ back to life too many EA81 and EA82 Subies ( of Friends, Clients, etc... ) and I feel so happy when they are Alive and Great Runnin´ Again...

• Or just Maybe I´ll Never Understand why in some world areas, People Destroy almost all the production of one item, and then, when just are one or two left alive, they turn them into a "Rare" pieces of Museum, or collectibles of Invaluable Price... I don´t Know why...

But Anyhow... Good Luck!

this car is far from being done competing. just needs a radiator rigged in, a new core support fabbed from some light steel and one fresh tire. i've already got all of the above.

Loyale, i understand your points. not that i agree with them though, i think you have demolition derby a little skewed. despite the looks of things, we actually maintain these cars very well and spend hours and hours working on them/preparing them for competition. alot of blood, sweat, and tears goes into them just like anything else.

i get just as much of a rewarding experience bringing a derby car back to life as i've had restoring a classic. also, lets face it... as cool as we may think these cars are, they're never going to be any sort of rare valuable piece of history.

Well... I respect so much everyone, and their own desitions... But I really HATE to see demolition derbys... Specially with a Suffering Subie on it.

• Maybe is Because My Heart feels its pain... Its Horror... Its Fear...

• Maybe is Because that Old Subie that in USA just cost around $ 500.ºº Here cost around $ 2,000.ºº and maybe is the Dream of a poor Family.

• Maybe is Because I have worked too hard for too many years, repairing and takin´ back to life too many EA81 and EA82 Subies ( of Friends, Clients, etc... ) and I feel so happy when they are Alive and Great Runnin´ Again...

• Or just Maybe I´ll Never Understand why in some world areas, People Destroy almost all the production of one item, and then, when just are one or two left alive, they turn them into a "Rare" pieces of Museum, or collectibles of Invaluable Price... I don´t Know why...

But Anyhow... Good Luck!

I feel the same way about alot of your points. Sometimes American culture turns around and lets you see what sort of consumption really goes on in our underbelly.. our mindsets have always been to consume until we must produce more, and it ends up setting up an effect rather like a shrimp on a treadmill where we all consume as much as we can, to necessitate producing as much as we can, just for consumption..

BUT, in a world with free will, and in a nation with freedom of choice, what we do with out cars is up to us. Don't presume the Derby is just about destruction, either..more about fun. By the way, Loyale 2.7.... did you notice that alot of those fotos in the album were "Before" and not "after"??? that wagon was pretty well gone.

However, in general, I agree with the points you brought up.

HEYYY... you live in south america, hmm?? maybe we could set up some kinda, import/export program.. I bring down subarus, and come back up with.. well, what? :brow: eheheheheh.....

RTR: Don't take any criticism's too hard. People who put loads of time into their cars to keep them alive get distressed when the cars are wantonly destroyed.

My view is that no car should drive it's self to the junkyard, if it did, potential was wasted.

I do a sanctioned form of demolition derby with my car. It's called Offroading :grin:

Rage that wagon till it's heads melt!

Are you alowed to use 4x4 in the derby? A lot of them ban that.

Hey,

In this neck of the woods, i've known people who have spent up-wards of $6000.00 for the engine in a demolation car. Really. Built by racing engine builders. They eventually move the engine to the next body.

this car is far from being done competing. just needs a radiator rigged in, a new core support fabbed from some light steel and one fresh tire. i've already got all of the above.

Loyale, i understand your points. not that i agree with them though, i think you have demolition derby a little skewed. despite the looks of things, we actually maintain these cars very well and spend hours and hours working on them/preparing them for competition. alot of blood, sweat, and tears goes into them just like anything else.

i get just as much of a rewarding experience bringing a derby car back to life as i've had restoring a classic. also, lets face it... as cool as we may think these cars are, they're never going to be any sort of rare valuable piece of history.

I never say never...ever:)

Doug