Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think you're expecting Deus ex Machina - not the case for this car. I'm still interested in how you're spinning out on dry pavement.

YOU CANT get ur wheels to spin!! UR CRAZY, i think my car is crazy, i ONCE, JUST ONCE, got the rear wheels to chirp on drive pavement!!! SO crazy!! Even with ur FWD fuse in? No front wheel spin, with my FWD fuse in, i get smoke from the front tires ROFL, but these tires are brand new, there yokohoma? SOmething like that, but there super good tires, grib is amazing, but its not an issue on dry payment, just SOMEtimes it is, but rain is my main concern, and winter we will see if it is noticeable.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU CANT get ur wheels to spin!! UR CRAZY, i think my car is crazy, i ONCE, JUST ONCE, got the rear wheels to chirp on drive pavement!!! SO crazy!! Even with ur FWD fuse in? No front wheel spin, with my FWD fuse in, i get smoke from the front tires ROFL, but these tires are brand new, there yokohoma? SOmething like that, but there super good tires, grib is amazing, but its not an issue on dry payment, just SOMEtimes it is, but rain is my main concern, and winter we will see if it is noticeable.
I can't honestly believe you've gotten your rear wheels to chirp. I assume from the way you talk about your car that it's a body-kit clad EJ22E bearing car. There's no way I'd ever get my car to drop rubber, the AWD puts a stop to that.

I've never tried doing it in FWD, never put that fuse in before, and don't plan on it.

I can't honestly believe you've gotten your rear wheels to chirp. I assume from the way you talk about your car that it's a body-kit clad EJ22E bearing car. There's no way I'd ever get my car to drop rubber, the AWD puts a stop to that.

I've never tried doing it in FWD, never put that fuse in before, and don't plan on it.

i just felt like wasting my old tires when i did it, but it somehow got the rear wheels to chirp, why? I dont know , i floored it, and CHIRP, not torque steer at all, but it was definitly the rear. LOL that car in my pic is not my car, its a car i hope to have one day lol. Heres my car.

DSC02046.jpg

this is how i wish my car looked.

2307729_3_full.jpg

That's defintely a NA car. I have no idea how you got it to chirp. Not even on the best day of the year with premium gas could I get my car to chirp rubber.

THATS IT!!! I used PREMIUM!!! i remember, but now with regular octane, no rear wheel chirp, just front wheel chirp.

That's defintely a NA car. I have no idea how you got it to chirp. Not even on the best day of the year with premium gas could I get my car to chirp rubber.

92 Legacy NA 5mt.

I can get it to chirp now, but that is after I dropped in a lightweight flywheel and an Outback clutch. . .

Yeah, the car is a lot more spirited now. . .

Oh, and looking at the title of this thread, I can't help but think "quite well, actually" :headbang:

THATS IT!!! I used PREMIUM!!! i remember, but now with regular octane, no rear wheel chirp, just front wheel chirp.

:rolleyes: Premium gets you no extra power unless you have a serious compression problem setting your knock sensor off on a regular basis (or the car actually requires premium).

Whenever your tranny was rebuilt they put in different stuff. The TCU reacts differently since whatever they put in is not to the same specs. End of story. But it works. Try not slamming the gas down doing m@d dr!ft*$ all the time in the snow and you will be fine.

:rolleyes: Premium gets you no extra power unless you have a serious compression problem setting your knock sensor off on a regular basis (or the car actually requires premium).

Whenever your tranny was rebuilt they put in different stuff. The TCU reacts differently since whatever they put in is not to the same specs. End of story. But it works. Try not slamming the gas down doing m@d dr!ft*$ all the time in the snow and you will be fine.

It aint snowing though, the problem is in rain, it slips sometimes even when i dont floor it.

So if a sensor/s is used to detect wheel speed differential then isn't there a chance that the sensor/s can get lazy cause a lag time in reaction?

my understanding is that the tcu / ecu(?) uses the front speed sensor, right front of trans i think, and rear speed sensor, clutch pack extention housing right rear, to compare speeds. (both are accesable from the outside of the tranny) the front measures the front wheel speed and operates the speeometer, and fwd cars only have this one. the rear speed sensor measurses the output to the rear drive shaft and is only(?) used to compare speeds(?) front and rear. so maybe sensors can age, or maybe the tcu can age or may there is a mismatch between tcu and transmission.

i think i read recently about some one replacing a front speed sensor and it was cracked. (it may have been a different post/sensor that was cracked.) but his speedo was acting funny. it would always read 40 mph. i haven't read any thing about replacing the rear. haven't heard any complaints about them. i think it is a simpler sensor, but i don't really know. and since there isn't any speedometer to tell you if it's working correctly you wouldn't know unless the awd didn't work or the tcu threw a code. so maybe it can get tired. i do know that they do not "unplug" from the wiring harness easily. i think you have to cut the wire.

my understanding is that the tcu / ecu(?) uses the front speed sensor, right front of trans i think, and rear speed sensor, clutch pack extention housing right rear, to compare speeds. the front measures the front wheel speed and operates the speeometer. and fwd cars only have this one, the rear spped sensor measurse the out put ot the rear drive shaft and is only(?) used to compare speeds(?) front and rear. so maybe sensors can age, or maybe the tcu can age or may there is a mismatch between tcu and transmission.

i think i read recently about some one replacing a front speed sensor and it was cracked. (it may have been a different post/sensor that was cracked.) but his speedo was acting funny. it would always read 40 mph. i haven't read any thing about replacing the rear. haven't heard any complaints about them. i think it is a simpler sensor, but i don't really know. and since there isn't any speedometer to tell you if it's working correctly you wouldn't know unless the awd didn't work or the tcu threw a code. so maybe it can get tired. i do know that they do not "unplug" from the wiring harness easily. i think you have to cut the wire.

you know what, funny thing, my speedometer bounces, when i take off needs to hit 20km before it starts moving, because it bounces inbetween 20kms but at higher speeds goes away. Now how can i change the sensor?

Wait, is this where it is?

79086237.gif

86378842.gif

wow, if it is acually there, thats easy to replace eh? Now do they always pull a code? Or only sometimes? And how much do they run?

the top pic is of the rear speed sensor, (clutch pack extention housing) the bottom one is the front which affects the speedometer. i would change this one if your speedo is acting funny. i can't tell from the pic which sdide it's on. i don't know the price. you can find pricing online.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

Hey, i couldnt find it on the site, but what is it called? VSS sensor? Nothing.

But my car has a speedodometer cable, does it still have that sensor?

nope. not on the front. but somehow, the computer has to read and compare the speeds.maybe remove and lube the cable, or check the connections at the speedo. or answers from someone with 93 leg knowledge.

nope. not on the front. but somehow, the computer has to read and compare the speeds.maybe remove and lube the cable, or check the connections at the speedo. or answers from someone with 93 leg knowledge.

funny thing is that, this all happened after the guy pulled my tranny to change the solenoid and clutch packs. Now about the cable, it just unscrews off correct? And will any lubricant like WD-40 work? And do i spray any in the hole? Also is there another sensor in the front of the transmission.

funny thing is that, this all happened after the guy pulled my tranny to change the solenoid and clutch packs. Now about the cable, it just unscrews off correct? And will any lubricant like WD-40 work? And do i spray any in the hole? Also is there another sensor in the front of the transmission.

my only speedometer cable experience was in 1976 with a 1961 chevy pickup. i can't help you.

The front speed sensor on the pre '95 cars (with cable speedo drive) is in the gauge cluster. The bounce that you see is likely due to a worn drive cable, relubing may help but a new cable would be best. Its possible that your cable was improperly reconnected or was pulled and is not full seated in the back of the gauge cluster, but if the speedo is working correctly I doubt thats the case.

Some delay in the rear engagement is normal and I think the more mileage on the tranny the more likely you'll get it. My '92 Turbo Legacy had notable wheel spin before engagement.

Gary

Thank you all_talk - someone else with an auto who can agree with me. :D

OK, i dont care if my car is old,

why do people think because a car is old something shouldnt work like it should? I dont care, it can be 10000000000years old, but i still want it to be perfect. This speedo issue happened after my crappy mechanic pulled my tranny, and he has no clue how to fix it. This is why i go to a dealer now. And ill definitly check out the cable, its just comes off with a adjustable wrench to twist off right? THen just spray some lubricant? Ok.

so, i was out in the country, on a grass drive way slight uphill incline. i was going to turn downhill off the driveway, do a u turn and then drive back up to the driveway and go home. instead of putting it in "D" as i usually would, i put in "2" be cause i didn't want spin my wheels and tear up the lawn.

as i started to move forward, everything was normal. and then in an instant, it felt like some had put a severe load on the car. almost as though i had taken the slack out of a tow rope/strap and took up the load.

this must be the clutch pack kicking in. i tried it again just to be sure, and it did it again. i tried it later on pavement, slight uphill and not as noticeable, but the tranny was hot then so idon't know. tried in slight downhill and didn't notice it.

i think until the the output shaft turns the clutch can't engage. so there is always going to be a delay. and unless you have driven a brand new 4eat w/ awd you won't be able to tell if yours is working like new or not. and my idea of a "slight delay" may be entirely different than yours.

the joy of this AWD system is that it's pretty much FWD until you slip and then you don't have to do anything, it just becomes AWD. you could have a 4WD car/truck, but you wouldn't get 25 -30 mpg. and if you know you need AWD start in 2 or 1, and you'll have it.

just my opinion.

john