Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suicide doors

Guest Caboobaroo

Guest Caboobaroo

ok, I'm wanting to do suicide doors on my 79 wagon. Anyone have any tips or links that I could follow? This would be my first time for it but I can make parts to do it. So any ideas on how to go about doing this?

Guest Toyofast

Go to a lowrider show, ask them questions. They'll probably be able to point you to good fab/body shops... then you could go pick the shop guys brains and/or see examples of work they've done.

I know there's already been one lowrider show in P-Town... there's always a few of them going on throughout the summer.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Do suicides only on the rear old school lincoln style :cool:

(so both latches are on the B pillar and hinges are on the A and C pillars)

On the show car I work with, we've contemplated the idea of suicide rear doors, but in the end, the idea was cancelled because too many people do it in the show scene (doing Lambo-style scissor doors now, front and rear). However, there is a company that sells a hinge setup designed for suicide doors - http://www.autoloc.com . They are very well-known in the show scene for producing very high-quality products.

Guest BattleAXeT6

Im not sure how much help this is for u, but I have seen alot of kits and directions and stuff, on ebay. theres a good chance theres somthing on there now, that may be worth checking out.Theres my 2 cents.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

The only real problem with the suicides on the wagon is that arch at the back of the door for the wheel well. Although this isn't too big of a problem, it jes means that you have to get real inventive. Prolly the best bet would be to go with one mondo hinge on the upper part of the door, then you would have to fiddle around with the latch and everything, but that really isn't the hard part to it. Lotsa luck though, I would really like to see this done. Catch ya Laters.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

If you dont do a mondo hinge at the top I suggest a 45 degree hinge or something along the basic line of the wheel well... the door when it opens will swing back AND down.... not really a nice way to go, but WAY simpler... just make 2 hinge mounts at 45 degrees on both the door and the frame.

well I figured out how to do it finally. If you look at your hoods and how the hinges go into the firewall, thats how I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna use a set of hinges on each door but the original hood hinges I'm slightly modifying to work. I'll see if I can get some pics of my plans but I thought about it for about an hours last night and thats what I came up with. Now the next part is to figure out how I'm gonna do my shaved doorhandles..............This wagon is gonna be soooooo pimp:banana: :brow::headbang:

Waited for ages for you to get back yestrday but obviously you didn't come back so I didn't get to show you...

I DID photoshop it, but I think I did a good job - yes I'm guilty - but if this doesn't change your mind on doing this how I think you should do it... your a dink and a half!!! :rolleyes:

And to all those who are following this thread - feel free to look but don't go stealin my idears :wink: cause if he's not going to do it - I need to find a gen1 wagon to do this to myself

soobandelivery.jpg

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Brian - coolest part of that.... its not chopped :big grin:

Its just panel-sealed up - with a B-pillar accent panel (that black curve behind the window) and its lowered. I also already know how to do every single step of this, only things I'd really need are a welder and torch/plasma-cutter... maybe an air-shear could hack-it (pun intended)

well Erik did it, I'm gonna do my wagon up like his pic that he did. So I'm gonna be the only one with a 1979 2-dr sedan delivery.....Just wait until WCSS6 when everyone will see it. There will be some guys there that won't know what the hell it is...... mwahahahahaha, oh yeah........................:banana: :banana: :banana: dancy dancy dancy