Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sealants, silicone etc for water pump etc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MTSuby

MTSuby

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Helena

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

I'm replacing my water and oil pumps this weekend, just wondering, other than the gaskets, if it's necessary to have any sealants on bolts or anything. Also, if anyone has any info that might be handy and isn't covered in the repair manual.
I printed the timing belt instructions from the USRM, but other than that? Anything?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I don't even use a gasket anymore. Just RTV and go.

GD

#3 BoostedBalls

BoostedBalls

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Cornelius, OR

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Be oh so careful with RTV on the oil pump, one little RTV booger can destroy your engine. Make sure your surfaces are cleaned with brake cleaner before doing it. I personally would never use RTV on a pressurized oil system. I used to be the tear-down guy at an engine shop and I saw too many spun main and rod bearings from the RTV Booger Devil.

As far as the coolant system, go for it. You might plug up a passage in the radiator or a steam hole somewhere, whoop-d-doo.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

Oh - yeah didn't see the oil pump part of your post. Use anereobic sealant for that if you need anything. RTV is a no-no on anything but the cooling system IMO. I don't really use it anywhere else on a soob except the cam cases/valve covers.

GD

#5 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

Don't use any sealant on the oil pump. Just coat the O-ring type seals with oil.

I usually use the water pump gasket with some spray-on copper stuff on there to fill any little voids.

#6 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:04 AM

dont go too nuts with tightening the bolts for the oil and water pumps. use a thumb ratchet if you have one!

#7 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

I clean and wire brush all the bolts I take out and then use a light coating of moly/graphite engine assembly lube on the threads.

#8 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

I would use aviation sealant on the waterpump with the gasket. The oil pump just needs a coat of oil on the o-rings. Good luck.

#9 Bizangous

Bizangous

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

I use RVT blue on the water pump along with the paper gasket. I put the RVT on the waterpump side and it helps the gasket stick to the pump and makes it easy to put the bolts threw.

#10 MTSuby

MTSuby

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Helena

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

Well..let's hope I did it all right. Thanks for the posts, but unfortunately I wasn't around to check any of them, since I was doing it during those times. So far no leaks coming out of anywhere. Mostly I'm just amazed it actually started back up and runs.

#11 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:03 AM

I clean and wire brush all the bolts I take out and then use a light coating of moly/graphite engine assembly lube on the threads.

good tip, but i think using anti-seize compound might end up cheaper.

i may be wrong, come to think of it i dont think ive ever actually PURCHASED either. large families are great :lol: (i have four brothers, a father, and an uncle and the only one who isnt a "car guy" is the professional mechanic:eek: )

also, what about using a thin layer/application of lightweight grease for the oil seals and o-rings to facilitate proper sealing when installing, and to hlep make the gasket stick? thats just something that ive always done when it was an option myself... any qualms?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users