Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Motor suggestions for an '83 DL 4WD

Hey folks,

After returning from a year abroad, I came home to find out my roomies had somewhat abused my soob. Not their fault, they just didn't realize when the radiators leaking, the engines probably overheating! Eeesh.

Anyway, I just emptied about 8 quarts (honestly) of water followed by a brown sludgy goo from the engine. I'm pretty certain the block must've cracked or the headgaskets are gone.... Here's the thing. For a long time I've wanted to start towards making this soob an off-roadin' machine. If I'm going to replace the engine are their any others I should look at (i.e. conversions) rather than just putting another 1800 in her? What about diesel? Are there any known diesel conversions?

I'm open to all your suggestions/input!

Thanks!

-john

Update: Wow! Just went back out to see how the oil draining was going... this sludge is SLOWWW! Decided to turn the engine over, and after a few turnovers, a bunch of water came straight out from the drain hole.... man, must be one hell of a crack/leack/something!

Probably just blown head gaskets. These engines are almost impossible to crack.

It's been discussed, but no diesel conversions have ever been done.

The EA81 is one of the best off-road engines you can build. I sugest you use this opportunity to tear it down and replace the bearings, and while you are at it add a Delta 252 torque cam for better low end.

GD

Thanks! So, after doing a little forum searching I discovered some folks talking about the EA81 vs EA82.

Here's a few questions:

1) If I go with an EA81 (what I have), how much time to just swap out what I have with a used one (I found one for $450)... is it pretty straightforward? Put another way, how different than a vw 1600 motor swap (I've done that enough times!)?

2) Are there significant advantages to going with a EA82 EFI? How much more work/time/money?

3) Is it highly recommended to go with a rebuilt from CCR or someone similar versus just throwing in a used one?

Thanks again!

I would recommend you REBUILD the one you have. Buying a used engine or a new one is a waste of money. The used engine could have problems, and a new CCR EA81 is over $1,000. You can rebuild the one you have for less than the cost of the used engine. And you could probably get by with just head gaskets.

As for the EA82 - don't waste you time with it for an off-roader. It's a higher reving engine, with only a slight HP increase over the EA81. It's problematic for off-road repair. The timing belt makes it slow to work on. It also does not fit without modification to the frame rails, and moving the hill holder. Too wide for the EA81 body.

The EA82 fuel injection is awesome. It runs at any angle, and has great torque. That would be a great conversion, but it takes a not-insignificant electrical knowledge, and the parts to do it run into the $300 to $400 range by the time you are done, and the conversion usually takes people a couple weeks the first time they do it. I've done it to my Brat, and I love it. Much more predictable than the carb options.

GD

I would recommend you REBUILD the one you have. Buying a used engine or a new one is a waste of money. The used engine could have problems, and a new CCR EA81 is over $1,000. You can rebuild the one you have for less than the cost of the used engine. And you could probably get by with just head gaskets.

GD

Okay, thanks for the tips!

Considering the amount of time I have (little) it sounds like rebuilding myself is possibly the best way to go. This is an embarrasing question, but is there a good online guide to this? Or a book you'd recommend. I'm not afraid of diving into these things, and have done it a bunch with VW's, but this will be my first time on the EA81, so some guidance probably wouldn't hurt :slobber:

Thanks again GD for paying attention to this thread.

It's very similar to the VW's you have done. Just pull the engine out and you will see what I mean. The only difference is the way the block comes apart. Instead of the cylinders unbolting from the crank-case, you pull the wrist pins through access ports in the sides of the block, then the engine unbolts down the center. You will most likely need new main and rod bearings, and complete gasket set. Rings do not usually require replacement, but you can if you like. You should bottle-brush the cylinders at least so new rings will seat properly. Get the Fel-Pro gasket set, and use dealer gaskets for the intake manifold and oil pan gaskets as the aftermarket versions are inferior.

Really it's pretty straightforward. You can always ask questions on here as you go.

GD

I concur that the EA81 is better for off-road. It seems to be torquier than my EA82 SPFI (which has WAY more horsepower on the highway though). If you are going through the trouble of doing a fuel injected engine (nice for operating at extreme angles without starving the carb), might as well go for an EJ22 it seems. I'm going to be putting a VW diesel of some sort in my '82 GL wagon, but there is no kit for this at all, and I expect that it'll be over a year before I have results to post. I'm I'm sort of shooting in the dark for what engine to put in there as far as torque/rpm/etc... Plus, I'm looking at at least $3grand for the engine if I get a newer turbo one. Not a cheap project.