Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 power testimonials

WoodsWagon

Figured there should be a thread outlining just why we spend the time to swap in EJ22's.

My car: Loyale wagon, D/R 5spd. 225/75r15 tires.

Holds 80mph on highway anywhere without complaint at less than half throttle.

Has torque to climb over anything I want it to.

Does 170' RWD burnout.

Holds with 2005 chipped Duramax on power level 5 through 3rd gear.

Holeshot's nearly anything at stoplights.

Returns 24mpg with all this kind of driving.

Figured there should be a thread outlining just why we spend the time to swap in EJ22's.

My car: Loyale wagon, D/R 5spd. 225/75r15 tires.

Holds 80mph on highway anywhere without complaint at less than half throttle.

Has torque to climb over anything I want it to.

Does 170' RWD burnout.

Holds with 2005 chipped Duramax on power level 5 through 3rd gear.

Holeshot's nearly anything at stoplights.

Returns 24mpg with all this kind of driving.

Is the ej22 your first four cylinder? "power testimonials" to such an engine could be embarassing, very easily. Good luck on what you may believe to be bragging rights for the craziest boxer ever to be on the market this side of a "scotch-yoke" (and even that has a realistic purpose). 24mpg on 5 mains is a 300+hp v8 to me and anyone old enough to know better. In fact, I am almost embarrassed for you. :confused:

I think his point is that in the older cars (Loyale, GL, etc) the EJ-22 is a huge improvement over the stock engine. Keep in mind that a Loyale only weighs about 2400-2500 Lbs (curb weight) whereas even the 1990-1993 Legacy that most of these EJ-22's are coming out of weigh 2900-3200 Lbs (again, curb weight). That works out to around 18lb / hp, which is actually not bad. Put in a 2.0T or 2.2T, and the numbers can easily be brought into the 11-13 lb / hp range.

Also, compare the engine output for it's displacement. 61 hp/l is not too shabby. Compare that with say a 2006 Mustang GT, which makes 300hp out of 4.6l = 65 hp/l. At 3500lb, each pony has to push 11.6 lb. So obviously an ej-22 Loyale won't be beating it in a drag, but it will surprise it (especially if the Mustang driver doesn't know how to launch, and the Loyale starts out in 4WD).

5 mains saved my life, no really they did.

The EJ swap makes it possible to run 28 inch swampers in 5th gear on the highway, up hill.

3 mains or 5, i'll go with the 5 even though its not germain to the conversation.

V-8's are for sucks

Is the ej22 your first four cylinder? "power testimonials" to such an engine could be embarassing, very easily. Good luck on what you may believe to be bragging rights for the craziest boxer ever to be on the market this side of a "scotch-yoke" (and even that has a realistic purpose). 24mpg on 5 mains is a 300+hp v8 to me and anyone old enough to know better. In fact, I am almost embarrassed for you. :confused:

you really are off your rocker aren't you? Subaru has built millions of EJ-series engines for the better part of 20 years, most of which see well over 200k miles, or put out 300+ hp, sometimes both. 24mpg is pretty impressive while driving that hard. I bet he gets almost 30 on the highway. also keep in mind the oversized tires he's running.

back on topic, however. my loyale is so freeekin fun to drive! not lifted, so I haven't had the chance to try an EJ22 EA car offroad. but this thing suprises ALL the local civic and neon guys. even from a roll. the last tank of gas was 100% in the city, meaning virtually never hitting 40 mph, and WOT from every stoplight, and I still got 22mpg. and about a month ago, I took my String Quartet 2hours away to a wedding gig, 4 of us, 4 string instruments, 4 music stands, full-size spare tire, bunch of spare fluids, and my big tool bag. and got all of 27mpg :headbang:

I can't wait til I can get some decent tires and start autocrossing this thing. heck, I can't wait until the ice races this winter!!!!

Is the ej22 your first four cylinder? "power testimonials" to such an engine could be embarassing, very easily.

I guess you're right, but touting the 3 main EA-82 is even more ludicris, and with only 90 HP in top form i think you got 40 HP less room to talk. :burnout:

4 cylinders are turning 9's, I'm sure theres a valid power testimonial in one of those rigs.

There is nothing that a 3 main engine can do that a 5 main can't do better

i wish to add my 2 cents...

i have an ej swapped 86 gl wagon that i also converted to full-time 4wd and just connected my front diff. lock...

my car may not win any drag races but IT SURE IS F******IN FUN TO DRIVE. and it goes just about anywhere i want it to with out me begging it to...it just goes.

as far as the 4 banger versus the V8 thing.....power con come in small packages to.

Dave

Damn, if I had known that the EA82 that came in it was the best frickin engine in the world, I should have never bothered to spend the months swapping in the EJ22.

EA82's SUCK! No matter how much you worship them, they still are low powered, doggy, 2 valve slowpokes. "Oh", you say, "But I can mod an EA82 to match your EJ22". The NA EJ22 is turning more horses than the factory EA82 turbo. If you want simplicity, get an EA81. If you want power and reliability, get an EJ22. Don't bother with those ugly middle years.

The EA82 body is great. The engine bites. I know have a nicely built body with the engine that it should have come with. The car moves. It has way more power than any of your 2wd wonder EA82 subarus would dream of. I can play and hang with most of the modern cars now, something that was impossible before. Yeah, if I got the car rolling, I could get it to 97mph downhill and blow out the header gaskets doing it.. or I could do that on the flat with no ill effects with the EJ22.

When I replace my halfshaft and my driveshaft, I'll throw my stock tires on it and take it to the dragway. It wont own any top fuel cars, but it will be on par with any other stock compact from the late 90's WHICH IS A LOT MORE THAN CAN BE SAID ABOUT AN EA82 EQUIPPED ONE.

How many of us EJ22 swappers have been quietly proud when the car pulls itsself over a pass without haveing to shift to 3rd? The confidence that, yes, i can pass that semi if I need to, and I don't need a run to do it either..

the EJ22 is easier and lighter to install in a subaru than a V8. a V8 probably isn't compatible with AWD, offroad and gas mileage or as reliable as an EJ22. but mounting one would be such an issue anyway. Ej22 in an EA82 sounds like a great swap. i'd love to try it if i had the time.

Why would you put a V8 in a subaru? I was thinking that to myself while working on my hatch today. The muscle car meat heads at work say I should just drop one of those in my project hatch. easy detriot power! yes it's good power, but....

reasons why I never will.

30MPG

125lb EA-81 block

60-40 weight distribution

The bragging rights, that I can follow any of their $30K+ pickup trucks into the woods and farther, and if anything breaks I can fix it for under 200 bucks.

My turning circle.

If I upgrade my drive train to V-8 power handling, and solid axles I will have lost my light weight little indepent suspenion puddle skipper that I ador for what it is.

The only motor I am considering is the EJ22, I have seen what it can do.. and I envy it. Not to mention what it does on mega squiters with a vortec super charger :D V-8s can kiss my grits.

Mr Fishums

The only motor I am considering is the EJ22, I have seen what it can do.. and I envy it. Not to mention what it does on mega squiters with a vortec super charger :D V-8s can kiss my grits.

you're dead on the money right there! 'Easy' detroit power IS the EJ22....it just didn't come from detroit, which makes it even better!

dropping a V8 in it would require completely re-engineering the car. because even if you could adapt it to the subaru transmission, the whole thing would stick out in front of the front wheels. and just generally screw everything up.

Loyale wagon 5sp d/r dropped to 4:11 with forester 5th gear:

10 years, 20 states, 184,000 miles on an EJ swap in 1996

Hauls about 350 lbs music gear packing the cargo bay over the continental divide on I-70....9 years season after season.

With tranny dropped to 4:11 the EJ22 torque in low range 1st gear puts a helpless grin on your face as you crawl up steep stuff.

85-90 mph flat highway cruising speeds no problem, middle lane up the mountains, long distance quiet cruising. It's all part of the joys I've had with a swapped wagon.

I've moved on to a Legacy now, but I do miss my EJ22-powered EA82 car. My first trip after the swap (which was the next day after getting it running), I went 850 miles from Skagway to Anchorage in 14 hours. With the EA82, my usual time from Haines to Anchorage, which is 750 miles, was 14 hours. The pass coming out of Skagway is also a lot steeper. Running the EJ22, I never had to use more than 2/3 throttle, so I got better fuel economy while going faster...what else do you need?!:headbang:

I've moved on to a Legacy now, but I do miss my EJ22-powered EA82 car. My first trip after the swap (which was the next day after getting it running), I went 850 miles from Skagway to Anchorage in 14 hours. With the EA82, my usual time from Haines to Anchorage, which is 750 miles, was 14 hours. The pass coming out of Skagway is also a lot steeper. Running the EJ22, I never had to use more than 2/3 throttle, so I got better fuel economy while going faster...what else do you need?!:headbang:

I've been there....getting over that pass with an EA82 would be interesting. especially with a load.

• 2 years later...

My brother has an ej22 in his 87 wagon. On our last trip to WCSS, he got an average of 28MPG doin 70 with a full load in the back. Parts of northern cali and oregon with speed limits of 55, he saw 33 most of the time. Only time he would drop to 4th was when my sister and I were going too low on the grades and he fall out of the higher torque band.

Another big difference between the EA82 and the EJ22 is that the EJ22 runs MUCH cooler than the EA82 does. Down here in the southwest it gets very hot on those open highways in Arizona and Nevada. I was talking to a guy who used to own an XT6 - he loved the car, but it ran too hot and kept loosing head gaskets even with colder t-stats or no tstat at all, so he sold it and switched to something more adapt to high heat areas. I'm not sure how hot it gets in the PNW area in the summer, but when it's 110-130 deg on the desert floor with no humidity, you better have your cooling system in tip top shape if you want to go any faster than 55.

Yes, EJ22 FTW!

ez 30 does that even fit in a loyale the only one i know of had to lose the four wheel drive (gay) 2wd loyale why ? if you want 300hp and go fast buy an sti. ej 2.2 baby just enough power to do what you want and not to much that you will break your drivetrain ever time you turn the key not to mention still good gas mileage:banana: