Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Original Paint????

napa still has the paint chips for our subys. They can pretty much match it. If you want a perfect match however you would have to bring the car someplace and get the paint analyzed by a machine cause 20 years or so of weather will fade the paint and you would need to match to that fade.

unless you get real lucky and they have it sitting in a box out in the back, i think you're out of luck. and even if they did have it 20 year old paint probably isn't good anymore anyway.

there should be places that make custom paint colors, i think its up around 15 bucks for a rattle can, pricey, but if you are looking for the original resto look, it may be worth it.

From my recent experience I'd say yes. When a paint shop looks up your paint color code, it'll bring up a list of ingredients used to make your color. Most will have a computer that'll dispense and mix the ingredients down to 1/10 of a gram. And bingo......replacement paint.

Sometimes the paint doesn't match 100% depending on the shop and the ingredients, but good news is you'll have new paint that's very close to original.

--E

the question is, do you want to repaint your car the original color, or are you looking to repair a section and have it match your car?

because the paint on your car is no longer the same color it was coming from the factory.. if you want "original" color for a comlpete paint job, its no big deal.. if you want to match one zone of your car with another, then you need to take the car (or just the gas door) to a paint shop and have them analyze and match it.