Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ditch The Hill Holder?

Always get rid of hill holders!

Off road they are dangerous as you can't roll backwards.

This is a problem if you need to roll back down a steep hill.

Your brakes will be locked until you release the clutch, but you have to be in neutral to do this if your rolling backwards.

They are evil..........except on road!

My .02

Glenn

82 Hatch, .......well it used to be.........:temper:

01 Forester, ...........still is........ :burnout:

For the purpose of getting more room it makes sense. You can run without it but as Caleb stated you need to install a return spring on the clutch. It serves a dual purpose.

As far as being dangerous. That's a bit harsh. You can adjust it to perform where/when you want it to. I have never removed them for any reason.

I would of thought the heavy offroaders would of discovered a way to "dis-abble" the HH unit insteadof having to monkey with a removal and then repurging of the brake system.

After i did a swap onto the turbo from the ole GL (yes i like the HH and kept it) the install afforded me the opportunity to discover that if the adapter cable was "adjusted far enough out" the HH would not engage at all. -This came from findingout that the second "locking nut" had come loose and the primamry nut had unscreded along ways allowing for this "accidental knowledge to become appearant to me.

any thoughts from elsewhere?

lov ed the HH in my wagon, till the spring that pulls it back snapped at a light.. i had to romp the wagon, turbo spoolin, 4 grand on the tach to get it outa the intersection.. the i got out, pulled the lever back, unhooked the cable, and away i went :burnout:

although don't think i'll hook the one up on the hatch, as stated its nice to be able to roll backwards when 4x4ing..