Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza Engine Swap 1.8 to 2.2 ???

i dont know anyone that personally did it but there are no 2 engines that are more closely related than the ej18 and 22, if you look at them side by side you cant even tell the diff. just go with one as close to your year as possible, of course dont use 90-94 leg.

I think there's something about single port/dual port exhaust conflicts. Don't know what years came with what. Someone smarter than me will have to let you know. Otherwise, anything OBDI should bolt and wire up just fine. Watch out for EGR. If your current engine has it (my '93 Impreza does), then you would be better off sticking with an engine that has it too. If you don't, the computer will be hunting for the EGR components and give you a nice, friendly, full-time CEL.

Just slide the 2.2 Long in and use the 1.8 intake and sensors along with the 1.8 exhaust. My dad did this earlier this year, but he used a 2.2 from a first gen manual legacy, and the impreza he was putting the motor into was an automatic. The only problem you may run into is with EGR tubes. Just make sure you don't get a 2.2 that has the single port exhaust. I think they only did that in 96 or 97.

Keith