Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 Bigtime lifter noise after reassemly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Hill

Russ Hill

Jesus Freak

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • VANCOUVER,WASHINGTON

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:47 AM

Here's the deal.
I pulled the top end off of the motor
Among other things I pulled the heads and...
Head gaskets,
Valve seals,
Lapped the valves,
Replaced the check valve spring,
Replaced the cam galley o-ring,
Oil pump and seal.

The gauge is showing good oil pressure but man.... It's got lifter noise from HELL
:banghead:

I don't know the history of the motor, so I can't say if it had problems before.
I cleaned the outside of the lifters while it was apart and I left them sitting in oil until assembly.

Man.....
I have an embarassing amount of money into this car........ I donot want to do this again :madder:

It's a good thing I waited a couple of days to post...........

#2 josh long

josh long

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Tacoma, WA.

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:47 PM

This is quite commont if you get too much sealant on the cam cases. It can plug the passage that pumps up the lifters.

I've done it before:o

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:08 PM

if its been sitting for a while, they might just have a bad crap buildup..try a few MMO or ATF oil changed

#4 Russ Hill

Russ Hill

Jesus Freak

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • VANCOUVER,WASHINGTON

Posted 10 November 2003 - 04:57 PM

I guess the cam case goop is possible, but it started immediately at startup.

#5 ByTheSea

ByTheSea

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,362 posts
  • Mass, USA

Posted 10 November 2003 - 05:43 PM

I cast one vote for the o-ring that seals betwean the cam case and head. I see that you replaced it but maybe it slipped out of position during install. Stupid things at the best of times. I just had to replace a cam case on a JY motor and the old o-ring had a profile like a baseball sitting on top of a soccer ball. Needless to say the clatter went away.

#6 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:53 PM

And sometimes it's just a matter of putting your foot into the pedal and getting that oil to pump up that lifter.

Moshe did just that when I changed his oil pump and after a minute of high revs or less,it went so quiet we damn near started jumping up and down.Nothing like doing the right thing and still worrying you screwed up somehow.That oil need to pump that lifter up.Good luck.I hope it's that simple.Otherwise I'm with the O ring theory and excess sealant theory.

#7 Russ Hill

Russ Hill

Jesus Freak

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • VANCOUVER,WASHINGTON

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:29 PM

Well, I took your good advice.
I let it idle on the choke for a scarey amount of time... and it slowly got quieter. All but one stuborn lifter, so climbed in and wound it up for a good spell and.......
Sounds like a good motor!
Thanks guys....:D

#8 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:29 AM

Rock 'n Roll Russ!:headbang:

#9 COLIN_THRIFT

COLIN_THRIFT

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • sydney

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:35 PM

I Recently Pulled Down My Motor Just The Top End And Done A Major Service But Found That One Of My Lifters Was Stack And I Can Not Get It Out. We Have Tried Every Thing But Heat. Has Anyone Had This Pro Before If So What Is The Best Way Around It.

Also Well Be Doing Work To Moto Including Polishing Ports And Valves And Exhust.it Is A Ea82 From A 91 Enduro Also Know As A Leone.

#10 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:26 PM

I Recently Pulled Down My Motor Just The Top End And Done A Major Service But Found That One Of My Lifters Was Stack And I Can Not Get It Out. We Have Tried Every Thing But Heat. Has Anyone Had This Pro Before If So What Is The Best Way Around It.

Also Well Be Doing Work To Moto Including Polishing Ports And Valves And Exhust.it Is A Ea82 From A 91 Enduro Also Know As A Leone.

I'm not sure how to answer you're problem, because I honestly dont know, but it makes it a LOT easier to read and understand your post if you Don't Capitalize Every Friggin' Word Cause It Makes It Damn Hard To Read ITS EASIER TO READ ALL CAPS or all lower case with good grammer.
Thanks!

#11 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

Actually, he typed it in all caps. The forum automatically does that if you type it in all caps.

-=Russ=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users