Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Center Diff Lock Question

this may be why he is not chewing up his clutch pack. he als is cycling the solenoid much faster then the TCU does, so he is allowing for the plates to slip like they should.

Maybe he has found the holy grail :)

no resistors, hard wired and no chewing up on clutch packs here and i'm fairly certain i was one of the first to do this on this board back in 2003. that car had 220,000+ miles on it when i retired it due to rust this year...transmission ran and shifted perfect and i pulled it to keep as a spare for my new daily driver, probably had about 50,000 miles with the switch installed. i'll keep saying it so long as "chewed up clutch packs" are propogated....only ONE person has responded to say they had an issue and they left the switch on, clearly not intended usage. i'll say it again...has anyone had an actual failure?

i don't recall any failures resulting from this modification. can we link to actual threads or will someone post about failures?.

still only response is from someone that left the switch on....noone is going to recommend that!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can hear the buzzing on all the newer 4EAT's I've come across, its really apparent at a drive through window. It isnt there in neutral or park.

Newer ones are a differnt animal, as there are many things tied into it. Also they go into a sort of neutral on deceleration (when the computer thinks its safe). So it could be any thing in the tranny making the noise.

Another reason for a louder stero :)

nipper

no resistors, hard wired and no chewing up on clutch packs here and i'm fairly certain i was one of the first to do this on this board back in 2003.

I think the resistors are only required on some of the newer models (like mine) to prevent the TCM error light. Glad to hear that you got so many miles out of that old 4EAT!

only ONE person has responded to say they had an issue and they left the switch on, clearly not intended usage. i'll say it again...has anyone had an actual failure?

still only response is from someone that left the switch on....noone is going to recommend that!

Yeah, it would be nice to see some links to all the alleged failures.

I think the resistors are only required on some of the newer models (like mine) to prevent the TCM error light.
no, i still get the TCU error flashing, but i don't care for a number of reasons. first of all i have my shift resistor pack unplugged to firm up the shifts and lesson the lag between 2nd and 3rd gear. shifts much better that way. i could splice in a resistor there but i don't care too. some companies sell the $50 "shift kit" that basically does the same thing but probably eliminates the light and actually "disconnects" the stock pack only at certain times. i say just unplug it, but that's me. i can always plug the existing resistor back in if i need to see if there's a "real" code. so mine already flashes, having the duty c switch doesn't make a difference. it only flashes 16 times at start up and no more. if it was like the CEL and stayed on all the time, then i'd do something about it.

Glad to hear that you got so many miles out of that old 4EAT!
actually it was replaced at 150,000 miles, but that was before installing either the duty C switch or disconnecting the shift pack or messing with any transmission electronics, didn't know anything about that back then. i'm guessing that my time in college spent buying used tires wasn't good on the AWD trans (whoops!). the used trans took 70,000+ miles and the shift pack and duy C switch without any issues and still works great. i have it as a spare now.

is someone going to document, post a link or post here about an actual failure due to this mod?

Are you sure its not the line pressure solenoid? or the front pump solenoid?

See there are a few things it can be :)

nipper

Sure, there are MANY things it COULD be, but it isn't any of those things, it is the transfer clutch solenoid. I know because I have a switch to control that solenoid alone, and the sound is directly related to switch position.

Doesn't really matter though, does it? Makes for some good thought and discussion I suppose. :D

grossgary: Thanks for responding to my comments, that clears some things up.