Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof WeatherStrip Replacement

Does anyone know of a good source (and PLEASE don't tell me 'The Dealer,' hehe!); for the moulding around the doors?

DSC00008-1.jpg

Mine tore recently, and I've been kinda pushing it in haphazardly ever since ... but winter's coming, and I wanna stay toasty & not have all the road-noise.

The clips that are there are like little "button" types - any special tool needed for those? The manual isn't specific on that ... And WHAT in the world is "water silicone"? The Subaru Manual mentions that a lot, but I have no idea what that is.

I'm sure I could do the the J-Yard, but Rubber is Rubber, and it just breaks down eventually ...

I'm sure I could do the the J-Yard, but Rubber is Rubber, and it just breaks down eventually ...

poke around a bit anyhow. you never know when you find that car that fits the bill....and im not living in the land of junkyard bliss, by ANY means... but i still see loyales in nice shape once in a while. nice enough that id be willing to use the weatherstripping off of them anyhow.. as long as it wasnt too pricey..

I just glued mine back on with some gorilla glue.

After a few years of running it that way, being in the land of junk yard bliss, I pulled one. If you pull one try to get the smallest trim pry tool you can because its pretty easy to end up with the button clip still on the car and a torn rubber trim in your hand.

I might actually get mine into the car after having it for two months. Been getting tired of the extra wind noise in the door since the glue job didn't result in a "factory" fit.

--E

Yep - I might be junkyarding it this weekend anyway for some other stuff. Yeah - they're really small - I'm thinking like a small-clawed nail puller. IF you look closely, it looksl ike the bottom has got some kind of sheet metal reinforcement in there. Maybe if I get behind that ... I'll mess with the dead one before awhile before I try & tackle a JY one ... I am realizing that I may have torn mine simply by getting out of the car once and snagged my back against the pillar.

Gurilla Glue, eh? I sure have plenty of that .. . seems like the expansion might deform it ... I was thinking 100% silicone ... we'll see how it goes.

I just glued mine back on with some gorilla glue.

After a few years of running it that way, being in the land of junk yard bliss, I pulled one. If you pull one try to get the smallest trim pry tool you can because its pretty easy to end up with the button clip still on the car and a torn rubber trim in your hand.

I might actually get mine into the car after having it for two months. Been getting tired of the extra wind noise in the door since the glue job didn't result in a "factory" fit.

--E

yah.. whatever happened to your "final reveal" pics??? last time i visited your site they werent there...

I just glued back on a strip of the trunk seal thats been tattered and flapping for two years now with old fashioned rubber cement. a little tricky, but if you know how to use the rubber cement right it seems to work OK.. we'll see how it holds up.