Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to keep your Subaru alive...?

i think there may be some sort of gentlemen's agreement (non gender-biased of course) to minimize the official connection between distribution and site. just to play it safe? maybe its unneeded, but thats the vibe i get.. i have it, and offer to email it if no one posts a link, same with the FSM chunks...it cannot be strictly legal, though, so we keep it under the table so to speak.

do we need to worry about this? maybe not, but may as well give the benefit of the doubt to the USMB.

Is that pdf legal? Cos if it isn't they shouldn't put it in the USRM in my opinion.

No, but the book is out of print, so who's going to complain? No one is being cheated out of royalties or sales profits.... and there's no way it's ever going to be printed again. If you really think some publishing company is going to sic it's lawyers on a message board full of 80's subaru owners think again. They have plenty of other worries that aren't 10 years out of print and about as desireable as leftovers from spaghetti night.

And I'm not sure, but the author may not even be alive anymore. Hasn't published anything near as I can tell since the late 80's. If someone wants to attempt to contact the guy that would be awesome..... but good luck finding him. With a name like that...... well there is probably a LOT of dudes named Larry Owens.....

It's also been floating around for at least a couple years on here and "just under the surface" of this board. I know I've had it that long or longer.

Oh yeah - and besides being an easy to understand learning guide it's really not too usefull as a reference. Good read the first time, but I haven't cracked it open in a long time. He goes the way of all the rest of the manuals and claims you need help (machine shop) to press the axles in and out of the hubs :rolleyes:

GD

I just bought one on Amazon.com for 12 bucks and a couple of bucks for shipping. Some people want up to 40 bucks for theirs on Amazon.

I think it's a cute book to have but it is certainly not what I'd call "In-depth". If you have been used to the real John Muir book " How to keep your VW alive, for the complete idiot" you will be a little dissapointed. There is no "How to straigten your bent crankshaft with a claw hammer and an old bicycle part" section. Not any "How to do bodywork with a brick and sheetrock mud" section either. There is however quite a few "Take it to your dealer" recomendations in the soobie book.

Still, I bought it. I am giving it to my daughter along with the car..........

You may be supprised what some people do because of copyright GD. But I'm with you, it should be free and ok to distribute. But I still think the forum should take it easy on these subjects. A public forum advertising something that may still be in copyright is a bad idea

Do any of you remember that one dude that tried selling a .pdf of that for like $40? I think it was moscowdude who just basically said "F-you" and posted a big link to where you can download it for free. I remember that dude being seriously pissed.