Ultimate Subaru Message Board

contact at american racing re: 4X140 rims

s'ko

so i met this dude who works for American Racing in Los Angeles. He is going to talk to the custom products department about rims for us older soobs. I asked if they could provide two rim designs, a 15 and 16 inch narrow spoke tuner style rim for the street crowd and a 15 inch fat spoke rim for the offroad crowd. Will probably have set up a group buy situation, but I wanted to get an idea of interest. I said off the top of my head that if we could get about 100 sets sold. That's twenty soobs. Of course it all depends on how much they will be.

b659.jpg for the street crowd?

b617.jpg for wheelers?

So how many people would be interested if the price were 300 a set?

400 a set?

500 a set?

I might be into it @ $300, but I highly doubt a short mill-run could be done @ $75 a pop, unless you had someone with off-hours access to both the facilities & the blocks & a VERY understanding super.

... by the way, is that what we have? 4X140s? I looked in the manual & couldn't find that spec ...

most of these wheels are milled, and then drilled to whatever bolt pattern is required.

I have a thorty year old set of AR mags on my datsun that i have seen on countless different cars.. four, five, six lug... all different sizes. I actually just found the EXACT same AR mag (i mean i couldnt find any casting marks, but i KNOW they were cast in the same mold, or milled from the same die, whatever...) in a VW bolt pattern , in a VW, in the junkyard. full set actually....

the upshoot of this is that it shouldnt take any custom work beyond drilling balnk wheels for the proper bolt pattern. it might limit our selection of wheels to choose from, but since this is an expansion of our already highly limited selection.....

who knows, they may even recognize the minimal market value inherent herein.....

and bgd, i thought you said along time ago that steel rims were fine, as long as they had a fresh black paintjob?? :grin:

most of these wheels are milled, and then drilled to whatever bolt pattern is required.

I have a thorty year old set of AR mags on my datsun that i have seen on countless different cars.. four, five, six lug... all different sizes. I actually just found the EXACT same AR mag (i mean i couldnt find any casting marks, but i KNOW they were cast in the same mold, or milled from the same die, whatever...) in a VW bolt pattern , in a VW, in the junkyard. full set actually....

the upshoot of this is that it shouldnt take any custom work beyond drilling balnk wheels for the proper bolt pattern. it might limit our selection of wheels to choose from, but since this is an expansion of our already highly limited selection.....

who knows, they may even recognize the minimal market value inherent herein.....

and bgd, i thought you said along time ago that steel rims were fine, as long as they had a fresh black paintjob?? :grin:

Just because I post everyday doesn't mean I am reading this thread. :confused:

Paint saves the day, maybe a year, maybe more. (I don't know the paint at all, seems good so far).

The rims drilled properly for an incentive to the company there would be a mass buy, can count me in. As long as offset was correct. I would use even another steel if it were 15 inch and correct. My droopy 2wd in the back end (which I will never change) ought to have wheels that fit for the fender wells.

Can't someone just do it for the sake of the very last classic design flat-four is contained in a 4x140 Subaru!:banghead:

I have found ea82's parked just for the bouncing unstoppable wheel woes...al other parts to balance nicely can be purchased easily but the wheels.

Davalos, your tire guy is on crack! My turbo wagon has 185/70/13s stock and they are not even close to rubbing. If we could get them to make a set of the Silverstone wheels in 15 or 16 inches, I'm in 100%, no doubt, swear to god I'll buy 'em. Heres an example:

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=196&name=Silverstone%20Custom%20Offset&style=401&desc=2-piece%20painted%20center,%20polished%20rim&section=V#

• Like 1

I'd be in at $300 for a set of 15's for my lifted EA81 project. Maybe $400 if they're all chromed like the picture. The only thing is that I don't like running wide tires (I think they handle poorly in the snow, which is mostly what I four wheel through, especially with a light vehical like an EA81 wagon), so I'd want to be running 195/xx/R15's, or at most 205/xx/R15's. So, narrow rims. And, I probably wouldn't by a full size spare, but I might.

Davalos, your tire guy is on crack! My turbo wagon has 185/70/13s stock and they are not even close to rubbing.

Yeah ... I think I'm gonna get him some rock ... I went out today and full-cranked the wheels in both directions, and yeah - sure seemed like there was plenty of room - there is less than a 3/4" height difference between the 2 sizes ...

Has anyone done the 14's in the back and 13's in the front with the 2WD?

Are we talking 13"s or something larger? My Tire guy swears up & down that 175-80R13s will rub against the wheel wells on my sock 2wd Wagon on a full-turn. I didn't even think about the back ...

my snows are 185/80/13 retreads (even taller) with ice studs making it even taller on a 2wd sedan with part of the tires in the rear wheel wells at all times..and no rub. They will take a 24.5+ inch diameter and over 6 inch wide (a nice 15 inch in other words) easily .:) I have wonderd since the beginning why they didn't get 15 inch or at least 14. They even look normal with them.

I wouldnt mind some 16s, but for some reason I dont think those wheels will be THAT cheap... seems to me those wheels would probably cost more like 150-200 bucks each; more money than I have. No nice shiny chrome wheels for my off road rig plz, thanks I'll stick with my 6x5.5 lug pattern there.

just talked to the guy. He said that most of the managers are busy prepping for the upcoming sema show. I sent him an e-mail so that when he sees them he will be able to answer these questions.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Basically what we are asking is if there is a way to get some wheels with a 4X140 bolt pattern.

This bolt pattern is for the 1970-early 1990s Subarus.

Is there a way that we can get a range of sizes? 14, 15 and 16 inch?

Also is there a way that you can sell only the blanks so that they can be custom drilled?

How many would you need in order to make it around 400 dollars a set?.

Would I have to sign up as a dealer in order to get them?

will post more when I get reply or solid numbers

BW

just talked to the guy. He said that most of the managers are busy prepping for the upcoming sema show. I sent him an e-mail so that when he sees them he will be able to answer these questions.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Basically what we are asking is if there is a way to get some wheels with a 4X140 bolt pattern.

This bolt pattern is for the 1970-early 1990s Subarus.

Is there a way that we can get a range of sizes? 14' date=' 15 and 16 inch?

Also is there a way that you can sell only the blanks so that they can be custom drilled?

How many would you need in order to make it around 400 dollars a set?.

Would I have to sign up as a dealer in order to get them?

will post more when I get reply or solid numbers

BW[/quote'] Dont forget to remind them that they will fit pugs to so that might be a small market.

• 2 weeks later...