Ultimate Subaru Message Board

big lift questions

Phizinza

This isn't the usual "I want to lift my subie" thread. I actually like my car at the moment and have no plans on more lift or bigger tires. What I want to know is:

When you lift and put a T-case in how much stability is lost? On-road and Off-road?

How much further do you think a 8" lifted, t-cased, 30" tyre'd rig will go vs a 3" lifted, 27" tire'd rig (running the same engine and welded rear diff) Is there places the 8" one won't go but the 3" will?

What speeds can you do in your lifted, t-cased rig? highway speeds feel safe enough?

Probably more questions to come.

I am asking as the guys on the Australian forum don't believe that a big lift, t-case, and big tyres will get you anywhere that the small one wont. They believe that you can't drive it on the road due to stability and gearing. I have never modded that far so I just won't to confirm what I have read here in the past, and all the PM's between members I have talked to. So if you have anything to say about your big lifted roo (good or bad) please do :)

Cheers,

as far as the gearing is concerned, with a tcased rig, you can play with your final drive ratio very easily. and have 2 seperate lo ranges.

I can garauntee there are a number of local trails I could do with the gearing that I can't without. and certainly the extra ground clearance of the tires would help.

I think the stability depends on the lift. since it all has to be custom, a real ghetto one would make for a pretty scary ride, but if it's done right, it would be just as solid as stock.

I've been looking into tcased rigs for quite awhile now, but have decided to just start out with a rig that's already got a frame, divorced tcase, real lo range, locker availability, and an Automatic....

I've argued with the AUsubaru board about it, they won't listen. You haven't seen me there for probably about a year or more. That would be a big part of why. Couldn't get them to show me any proper offroad pics.

Did I type that?? My thoughts exactly.

I had a bit of a tiff with three of the members there and now they just try to pick every single one of my posts apart.

I think the problem is we don't have enough variety here of offroading so everyone just makes their cars good for sand dunes.

I want a fully capable offroader. Not just a dune rig. (That's why I'm not putting the AWD D/R trans in just yet. I like 4WD

Did I type that?? My thoughts exactly.

I had a bit of a tiff with three of the members there and now they just try to pick every single one of my posts apart.

I think the problem is we don't have enough variety here of offroading so everyone just makes their cars good for sand dunes.

I want a fully capable offroader. Not just a dune rig. (That's why I'm not putting the AWD D/R trans in just yet. I like 4WD

That is the issue. We have dealt with the same things before here. People just didn't realize what we do. Or, for that matter, how we do it. The bigger rig will do all the trails that the little one can do much easier. The little one can do some of the trails the big one can do with breakage and a lot of effort.

It is still driver that makes any rig do what it does, and laws. Our laws are starting to change regarding off-roaders. We don't have inspections and such that are as stringent as yours but they are headed that way all the same. It really is like comparing apples and oranges when comparing 3-4" standard lifts with 6"+ with transfer cases and such.

As a member of both boards, I would just like to say that I'd love to see some 8+" lifted subes with xfer cases, solid axles etc in Australia. But I just can't see it happening legally with our very stringent road rules about such things.

I don't recall any threads bashing such on idea on any forum here or on AUSubaru. We've all seen SubaruBrat's pictures and read his build history and it's all sound .. but translating that into something 'legal' to drive in Australia would be pretty much impossible.

When it comes down to it, both of here and AUSubaru serve their communities well, and I think the 'net would be a worse place without one or the other.

On one of the discussions about SubaruBrats brat on AUSubaru 3 out of 5 replies were bashing it and saying it wouldn't do anything offroad as the stock running gear wouldn't hold up to the huge tires. No one seemed to want to ask SubaruBrat what it was like or what it could do as they all seemed to "know" (talking like they had driven it even.)

I agree, AUSubaru is a good starting point to learn about Australian Subaru's. But they don't like peoples imaginations to run wild there. And they will only listen to you once you have driven past them up the trail...

Look under a topic called "2 door L series coupe" (or something like that)

That is why I am here asking people with experience, not there talking to "know-it-alls"

Sorry if I sound aggressive, it's late and I'm just about to go to bed. Good night (morning?) all.

Should I do a write up and post it on AUSubaru? Or would it even matter?

My rig is actually just over the legal limit for being streetable. Not due to design flaws but to aggressive engineering. I've been lucky, driving it all over the NW and not getting stopped. I know someday I will tho.

My car is only 2" lifted, but the lift wouldn't go past rego as its only the tube steel sort and its not thick enough. Theres heaps of things it is defectible for, for example, 300mm steering wheel and boss kit, oversized tyres, modified center console, modified wiring, welded diff and missing drive shaft, modified front suspension, 6lug conversion, even the rollbar in the tray is illegal due to it being closer then 150mm away from the drivers seat.

But I guess the car still looks legal. So i'm kinda lucky too. And living in a country town helps.

mate if its the way you want t to go do it.if you can get a zuke sierra with a commodore eng hilux diffs 33'' tyres etc rego engineered i can't see why you couldn't get your sube done.i'm hoping to squeeze a total of bout 5" lift and 28 or 29" tyres on my ea wag which now runs a ej22 and a vtd auto.Guess the trick is to make it look like its meant to be like that.some of the libs around my way sit up in the clouds of course not 8 inches but.

My car is only 2" lifted, but the lift wouldn't go past rego as its only the tube steel sort and its not thick enough. Theres heaps of things it is defectible for, for example, 300mm steering wheel and boss kit, oversized tyres, modified center console, modified wiring, welded diff and missing drive shaft, modified front suspension, 6lug conversion, even the rollbar in the tray is illegal due to it being closer then 150mm away from the drivers seat.

But I guess the car still looks legal. So i'm kinda lucky too. And living in a country town helps.

Ive never understood how the laws for vehicles got so nazi-ish in Aus. How many accidents are caused by afermarket steering wheels or modified engines? It seems like a whole pile of bulls#$% and tax money wasted for no real reason other than to give people a false sense of safety. Unless they collect tax money because of it :rolleyes: Australia has so much rural area, one would think it would be more like Canada and rural US where there arent really any concrete restrictions, and often not even emissions testing. Do the majority of people support this, or is it something that slipped by and the general population doesnt care, or what? Dont get me wrong, Im not bashin Aus, my step-brother has dual citizenship and has lived down there since he was 16. I plan on coming down there some time to visit.

I think people do think that it is a safty risk letting people mod there cars. I haven't seem many accidents because of modded offroad rigs, more of just stupid people loading a trailer wrong and losing traction on the rear axle.

There are a lot more people on the road that don't like modified cars then there are that do. I think that's the problem. And now that we have the laws we're stuck with them. Who would pass a law that makes it "un-safer" for road uses?

Another thing is. A lot of the time they don't care so much when they look over the car at rego. I've seen a few cars that got past with after market steering wheels and boss kits. But if the cop sees them he asks plenty of questions. I've even heard of a guy who had his car defected because his BOV was venting "harmful" gas to the atmosphere... Air is now harmful? That's like taking someone to prison because his wearing some "bling" (gold chains, for the ignorant.)

It's a messed up world. But I try my best to stay under the radar and enjoy my mods.

I just can't see how drilling some holes in my hubs, with plenty of metal left around them, and running two extra studs pre wheel could be unsafe....

the_postie, thats exatcly how I see it.. It can be done with enough money. But really, I think before I go that far I am gonna make a 'real' offroad machine. Something that needs towing to places. Something along the lines of this.