Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cloudy headlight lens remedy anyone?

You shouldn't need any wax over the clear coat. Use a polish to shine it up, or wetsand the clear with 2000 and buff it with a polish. Wax builds up with multiple applications and will yellow over time. Why do all of that work and just put something back on that will yellow again :confused:

You shouldn't need any wax over the clear coat. Use a polish to shine it up, or wetsand the clear with 2000 and buff it with a polish. Wax builds up with multiple applications and will yellow over time. Why do all of that work and just put something back on that will yellow again :confused:
Hmm, wax will yellow over time? Interesting. I didn't know that.

So let me get this straight, we're talking about polishing the OUTSIDE of the lens? Mine are fogging up, but I had assumed it was on the inside. Well, one of them has a small ding and has let condensation in, but they both are foggy and I assumed I needed to take the lens off.

This may sound funny but my mechanic told me about this years ago and I have been doing it on every car I've owned since...

MAG WHEEL CLEANER. Do it as if you were waxing your car but use Mag Wheel Cleaner. It gets out just about everything and your lenses will be clear again. If the lenses are really cloudy it may take several applications, but it works!

Once you get them clear just remember to do it every time you wax your car and you'll never have cloudy lenses again.

You can just put a hair dryer to it, to dry it out. Then seal it up using either a silicone sealant or some plastic window stuff that hobbiest use on model cars.

Yeah, I was thinking I might try that approach for the inside.....but the yellowing you all are speaking about is on the outside?