Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Restoring wipers arms, roof rack, non-plastic/rubber trim to black

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BeefaRu

BeefaRu

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Denver

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

Materials:
350 grit sand paper
Scotch Bright 7448 ultra find hand pad
0000 Steel wool
Bull dog adhesion promoter: qtp0312 bond-fled tiecoat 3 in 1 (local car paint supply will know as bulldog)
A can of SEM trim black 39143

Wiper arms/roof rack:
The stock paint is very thin on wipers, I found myself down to aluminum pretty quick on wiper arms, but nothing to worry about. I believe the roof rack is aluminum or galvanized but with thicker paint. After cleaning the part, use heavier grit sandpaper to smooth paint chips etc, then use scotch brite to finish out scratches for a smooth painting surface.
Apply a coat of bulldog
Finish with a couple light coats of trim black. Thicker coat risks paint chipping easier.

Non plastic "trim": Black trim on front blinkers, roof rack, satin black paint on rear view mirrors, black column trim on wagons etc...:
Same method as above, but if you need smoother surface, finish up with the steel wool. If the part has any plastic or rubber, remove the oxidation down to good material before going to finer grit and painting. See "restoring trim" post if you want a factory new appearance on rubber/plastic.

The trim black is a satin finish material identical to factory satin black and a cost effective way to make these items a solid black again.

Good luck and show that Subaru some love!

No closeups, but there are some photos of the restored look in this overhaulin' album

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users