Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loud noise from power steering pump.

as the weather gets colder here the power steering pump is making a loud noise :mad: , after afew seconds it goes away , i am thinking the pump is bad any comments ?[ 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd wagon] new alt belt, new alt, and it is tight, i have a spare , it should be fairly easy to change

Can you describe the noise??????? because people have no idea what its doing unless you give us some details... like hehe does is WHRRRRR or FHMMMMM or SPUTPUT OR AOHFJOAUIHOF ok so the lastone i made up but really can you describe what it sounds similar to ... also does this only hapon when you fire it up?

Could be another accessory-drive bearing (alt, water pump, AC clutch), but... the immediate thing that came to my mind was a cracked uppipe flange at the turbo. (Disclaimer: "When you have a hammer, the whole world look like a nail." :grin: ) My T-Loyale has the cracked flange, but it also has a P/S rack with a blown seal, so I could be getting a mixture of noise from the flange and the P/S pump. I do belive that most of my start up noise is from the cracked flange, though. (Pipe heats up, the gap from the crack grows smaller, sound abates a little.)

I still stick by my previous advice: If you have a spare pump, swap it out.

sounds like a bad compressor , the belt is squealing , but the alt belt is new , along with alt, new napa water pump, seems the colder it gets the more it squeals , and it only lasts about 5-10 seconds , the car sits over night , the wheel is straight , ,it is not the compressor ,because the belt has been removed , the alt belt is not wet or oily also

sounds like a bad compressor , the belt is squealing , but the alt belt is new , along with alt, new napa water pump, seems the colder it gets the more it squeals , and it only lasts about 5-10 seconds , the car sits over night , the wheel is straight , ,it is not the compressor ,because the belt has been removed , the alt belt is not wet or oily also

My WAG: Since it is colder, it takes longer for the cold, slipping belt to heat up enough to become tacky and grip. The belt is properly tensioned? And oh, BTW, does "belt has been removed" mean that you now only have one belt driving the PS pump instead of two??? If so, hmmmmm... maybe I know what the problem is. :rolleyes:

i took the ac belt off because the compressor locked up , yes i could have just unhook the power to the compressor , but the ac belt was very loose , since i bent the long bolt ,on the square type compressor , and have not replaced the bolt, it must be the colder weather ,because the ac belt has been off for awhile , pat do you have the long bolt ? for the square type compressor ,it's the bolt for the pully on the tension pully , about 8 inches long [ 12 mm ]

8" long bolt"? Yikes! Which one is that? Oh, are you talking about the tensioner bolt, the one that pushes the moving idler pulley? If so, then maybe... I just used a spare tensioner on my datsun p-up, might have another. Its pouring rain right now, so I will wait awhile to look.

Until then, try retensioning the remaining belt, maybe even use some belt dressing spray on it.

8" long bolt"? Yikes! Which one is that? Oh, are you talking about the tensioner bolt, the one that pushes the moving idler pulley? If so, then maybe... I just used a spare tensioner on my datsun p-up, might have another. Its pouring rain right now, so I will wait awhile to look.

Until then, try retensioning the remaining belt, maybe even use some belt dressing spray on it.

EWWWWW!!!! BELT DRESSING!!!!!!!!! BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!! STINKY ICKY SMELLY POOPY UGLY<<< MESSY ohwell not my car ;)

EWWWWW!!!! BELT DRESSING!!!!!!!!! BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!! STINKY ICKY SMELLY POOPY UGLY<<< MESSY ohwell not my car ;)

Get over it. :grin: Belt dressing is not bad, and it is certainly better than being stranded in BFE with a glazed, fried belt. Hmmm...come to think of it, I first used it when you were probably using those words regularly!!! :lol:

Get over it. :grin: Belt dressing is not bad, and it is certainly better than being stranded in BFE with a glazed, fried belt. Hmmm...come to think of it, I first used it when you were probably using those words regularly!!! :lol:

what took you so long?? I think _I_ was probably discovering the beauty of belt dressing when he was using terminology like that..

(disclaimer: i did the math, i was enlightened to making it home through the love of a can of belt dressing when i was like ten... im NOT belittling you by any means, beataru :-p)

I know your not!

I think people should just pay attention to there vehicals maintenence and check belts everyoil change or something like that, you know, routine! and replace them when anysigns of wear showup! and i mean ANY, but i know belt dressing is definately a getby and has saved many people but it still SHOULD NEVER BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR WHAT A NEW BELT COULD FIX!

and sure you guys can make fun of my age but im the one of the only 16year olds whose not afraid to display it and contend with the oldfarts of this website! :headbang:

Daeron you were using it when you were around 10... haha i think not!

... and sure you guys can make fun of my age but im the one of the only 16year olds whose not afraid to display it and contend with the oldfarts of this website! :headbang:

:lol: I was not making fun of your age (I was 16 once... or twice!:grin: ). I was making fun of your choice of words. Even if you were twice your age I probably first used belt dressing when you would have been regularly using those words. ;)

As I will not make fun of your age (you actually sound pretty mature for your time on earth), do not totally discount the experiences of those that have had more than 1.3 billion more heartbeats then you. Even oldfarts absorb useful information.

Belt dressing can save a belt that has gotten glazed by misadjustment. Why throw away a perfectly good belt that has accidently gotten glazed?

In 86subaru's case, he needs a little extra belt grip to temporarily make up for having only half of the drive surface.

Jim, I didn't get around to looking through my spares this weekend. I subluxated (partially dislocated) a knee, which made getting around uncomfortable. (Especially since I had to coach a soccer game and chaperone a dance.)

Hopefully, I will get a chance to look Wednesday.

northwet: OUCH!!!!:eek: my sympathies, don't kill yourself.. youve only got two knees, and you kinda need em both for a little while longer, old fart though you (we?) may be.. MOOG doesn't sell them yet :lol:

Beataru: that was just a pre-emptive apology anyhow, sometimes im afraid of coming across more arrogant or condescending than I intend, thats all. and i said i first became aware of the beauties.. my family and I were stranded in town in our van, 18 miles from our house and tools, and buying a can of belt dressing got us (and the groceries) home. been a close friend ever since, just like the can of fix-a-flat i NEVER want to _have_ to use......

can you say threadjack!?!??? sorry for all the off-topic posting here, i seem to do that occasionally.

at least now I have a job and I'm not posting here every ten minutes anymore :clap:

Pretty sure the bolt is left-hand thread, plus it has a flange like a "duplex" nail, so good luck finding a generic replacement. (Except on another Japanese car.)

OT: Sorry for not checking yet. I have had a BAD work week, and have done little other than work and (not) sleep. This is the first that I have sat at home since Sunday.

saturday evening ,i put ac belt back on , unpluged ac , tighted up alt belt, tighted bolt on front of the pully , it seems to be ok and not alot of slack in the belt , no slipping of belt or noise , but i think it would be better to have the tensioner bolt on , thanks pat ,when ever you can dig 1 up