Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

automatic transmission

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swilde20

swilde20

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • mayville

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

is a 96 legacy outback awd 2.5 auto trans the same as a 95 legacy ls awd 2.2 auto trans?

thanks steve

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

Not sure if they're the same. I have my doubts. I believe 96 or 97 was when the electronics changed slightly. However the big question would be the final drive ratio. The outbacks tended to have a lower final drive ratio.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,943 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Do the outbacks just have different differential ratios rather than different AT's? All I really know is the 4eat phase I's were until ~2000, which then changed to the 4eat phase II's. Are these made by Jatco? I've heard some reference elsewhere to what they called 'J-boxes' which I learned were Jatco boxes, which is a Japanese AT and CVT manufacturer.

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Do the outbacks just have different differential ratios rather than different AT's? All I really know is the 4eat phase I's were until ~2000, which then changed to the 4eat phase II's. Are these made by Jatco? I've heard some reference elsewhere to what they called 'J-boxes' which I learned were Jatco boxes, which is a Japanese AT and CVT manufacturer.

typically the 2.5 a/t and the 2.2 a/t have different part numbers. this is most likley due to different final drive ratios, 2.2 AT = 4.11, 2.5 AT = 4.44. MT were different than both 3.9 i think.

i haven't read anthing about the compatability/swap-ability of the transmissions themselves. i would look for the gear ratio of each and compare. this would give you a good idea. subaru would have been real smart if they were the same.

some trans model numbers:

TA102AAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2 A/T FWD; 2&6 "A"s = fwd
TZ102ZAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD; the Z's indicate awd
TZ102ZABAA = 96 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD
TZ102ZACAA = 97/98 2.2L LEG A/T AWD

TZ102Z2CBA = 97/98 2.5L a/t awd outback; the 2 = 2.5L except in 96 where in meant outback trim
TZ102Z2DBA = 98/99 2.5L a/t awd outback
TZ1A2ZJEBA = 99 (late) 2.5 a/t awd outback; the 4th A is different, new gen of trans????????

TZ1A4ZCCA = 2000 2.5 a/t awd outback; another change yet again

#5 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

Not sure if they're the same. I have my doubts. I believe 96 or 97 was when the electronics changed slightly.

That was in 98, at the same time the brake band adjuster went away and an external spin on filter was added.

The only difference you're possibally going to run into if drive ratio. Check the tag on the rear diffs and if neccesary grab the rear diff from the car the new trans is coming from.

#6 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

That was in 98, at the same time the brake band adjuster went away and an external spin on filter was added.

The only difference you're possibally going to run into if drive ratio. Check the tag on the rear diffs and if neccesary grab the rear diff from the car the new trans is coming from.

I do know for a fact the B15 trans connector plug changes style with the phase 2 trans, so while that's not a huge hurdle, it's not plug & play.

#7 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

I do know for a fact the B15 trans connector plug changes style with the phase 2 trans, so while that's not a huge hurdle, it's not plug & play.

Yeah I agree, I wasn't real clear in that post. If you try and swap from one generation to the next, you'll have a headache.

But he has a 95 and a 96, so the only thing he should have to worry about is the final drive.

#8 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:18 AM

I'm pretty sure the 95 AT is still the phase 1 4EAT. There's some additional TCU inputs on the 95 compared to the 90-94's, but the plug/connector is the same.

Either way...yeah you're right...switching between MY generations isn't too fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users