Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do the outbacks just have different differential ratios rather than different AT's? All I really know is the 4eat phase I's were until ~2000, which then changed to the 4eat phase II's. Are these made by Jatco? I've heard some reference elsewhere to what they called 'J-boxes' which I learned were Jatco boxes, which is a Japanese AT and CVT manufacturer.

Do the outbacks just have different differential ratios rather than different AT's? All I really know is the 4eat phase I's were until ~2000, which then changed to the 4eat phase II's. Are these made by Jatco? I've heard some reference elsewhere to what they called 'J-boxes' which I learned were Jatco boxes, which is a Japanese AT and CVT manufacturer.

typically the 2.5 a/t and the 2.2 a/t have different part numbers. this is most likley due to different final drive ratios, 2.2 AT = 4.11, 2.5 AT = 4.44. MT were different than both 3.9 i think.

i haven't read anthing about the compatability/swap-ability of the transmissions themselves. i would look for the gear ratio of each and compare. this would give you a good idea. subaru would have been real smart if they were the same.

some trans model numbers:

TA102AAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2 A/T FWD; 2&6 "A"s = fwd

TZ102ZAAAA = 95 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD; the Z's indicate awd

TZ102ZABAA = 96 LEG 2.2L A/T AWD

TZ102ZACAA = 97/98 2.2L LEG A/T AWD

TZ102Z2CBA = 97/98 2.5L a/t awd outback; the 2 = 2.5L except in 96 where in meant outback trim

TZ102Z2DBA = 98/99 2.5L a/t awd outback

TZ1A2ZJEBA = 99 (late) 2.5 a/t awd outback; the 4th A is different, new gen of trans????????

TZ1A4ZCCA = 2000 2.5 a/t awd outback; another change yet again

Not sure if they're the same. I have my doubts. I believe 96 or 97 was when the electronics changed slightly.

That was in 98, at the same time the brake band adjuster went away and an external spin on filter was added.

The only difference you're possibally going to run into if drive ratio. Check the tag on the rear diffs and if neccesary grab the rear diff from the car the new trans is coming from.

That was in 98, at the same time the brake band adjuster went away and an external spin on filter was added.

The only difference you're possibally going to run into if drive ratio. Check the tag on the rear diffs and if neccesary grab the rear diff from the car the new trans is coming from.

I do know for a fact the B15 trans connector plug changes style with the phase 2 trans, so while that's not a huge hurdle, it's not plug & play.

I do know for a fact the B15 trans connector plug changes style with the phase 2 trans, so while that's not a huge hurdle, it's not plug & play.

Yeah I agree, I wasn't real clear in that post. If you try and swap from one generation to the next, you'll have a headache.

But he has a 95 and a 96, so the only thing he should have to worry about is the final drive.