Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 in EA81, wiring help please. <yet more help needed>

Phizinza

yep, that pretty much describes it. you'll need 2 relays from the legacy. Main relay (6 wires) and fuel pump (4), the FI fuel pump only needs a power, and a ground. leave the relay in the harness, string a wire back to the pump for your power, and then ground the other wire.

one of these days, I'm going to sit down and finish my write-up

basically, thats what you need, engine to ECU wiring, a bunch of powers for relays, and a bunch of grounds for everything.

You have a wiring diagram right? :rolleyes:

this seems to be the hold up for everyone...

howabout we get a schematic compiled for the most commonly used years, and post it in the USRM? (or maybe sticky in this forum?) :brow:

ya know, a schematic, a simplified one for the "plug n play" EJ miniharness

Ok, thanks so far.

What's the box under the left front seat (remembering this is a RHD car) do? On the same side of the car as the the cruise control unit is next to the glovebox on the fender wall.

Are the relays for everything in that box under the hood? I have a lot of the wiring out. All the dash and the wires that go from ECU to the engine thru the firewall next to the steering collum. Also I got the cruise control wires out that are intergreated in to the dash loom.

I don't want the cruise control either.

I'll see if I can post some pics of it so far later.

Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm typing it up on my PDA in the workshop. (Gotta love wireless)

I'm planning to use the relays already in the car... wouldn't that be easier? It would conceal the wires more easily and be less work than adding relays to the car...

similar amount of work. using the EA relays would require splicing in at least 3 wires (2 12v+ from main relay, one ground for fuel relay to ECU) into the harness, whereas using the EJ ones means just the one from fuel relay to pump, and the one from the IGN switch to the Main relay, since they're already getting power and ground through the EJ harness elsewhere.

but do leave the EA starter relay. bringing the EJ starter relay is overkill.

Need a little more help. Having trouble locating these plugs/devices in the manual I downloaded.

89ej22loomhalfstripedsd9.th.jpg

1: relay with a large black-w/red-stripe wire going to a plug. Also there is some other smaller wires coming from the bit you see at the top. Which is the loom that goes from the steering collum thru to the engine bay.

2: Another plug with about 7 wires, any idea what it does? Where is goes?

3: Two plugs, one green, one black, connecting 1 small black-w/red-stripe wire (split in two) into one of the ECU plugs. Is this needed? Can I cut it out.

4: These are the plugs that connect to the other loom part in the other picture. Three big plugs, one blue, one black, one white. The black one I think had a few wires that came from the radio, which I have cut off. Are any wires in these plugs needed?

5: These are the two plugs that go to the main and fuel relays.

6: Fuse box plugs, do I need the fuse box?

So far I have taken out most of the Cruise Control wires, see top right of the above picture. The wires going off to the right of the picture are the ones that go through the fender and back into the engine bay to plug into the engine (three grey plugs.) The yellow plugs are the ECU plugs. The big which thing in the middle is two big plugs that connect the lights loom(?) that goes through the right hand fender and comes out near the bottom of the chassis near radiator on the right hand side (Remember, this is a right hand drive car, so could be different.)

I plan to write up as much of the stripe down as possible. This is a little harder then I expected, and I was expecting it to be pretty hard. I guess it would be easy just to bundle it all up and hide it. But I like things to be clean and tidy.

Do I need any of this?

89ej22loomcenterconsoleyd2.th.jpg

Thanks so far, and any more help would be greatly appritiated.

Cheers,

Need a little more help. Having trouble locating these plugs/devices in the manual I downloaded.

89ej22loomhalfstripedsd9.th.jpg

1: relay with a large black-w/red-stripe wire going to a plug. Also there is some other smaller wires coming from the bit you see at the top. Which is the loom that goes from the steering collum thru to the engine bay.

This is your fuel pump relay, the black red wire, which should be around 14 gauge, goes to the plus side of your fuel pump

2: Another plug with about 7 wires, any idea what it does? Where is goes?

I'm assuming this is yellow, this is your check engine connector

3: Two plugs, one green, one black, connecting 1 small black-w/red-stripe wire (split in two) into one of the ECU plugs. Is this needed? Can I cut it out. These allow you to put the engine into check engine mode and check timing and read codes from the blinky light in the ECU

4: These are the plugs that connect to the other loom part in the other picture. Three big plugs, one blue, one black, one white. The black one I think had a few wires that came from the radio, which I have cut off. Are any wires in these plugs needed?

5: These are the two plugs that go to the main and fuel relays.

6: Fuse box plugs, do I need the fuse box?

So far I have taken out most of the Cruise Control wires, see top right of the above picture. The wires going off to the right of the picture are the ones that go through the fender and back into the engine bay to plug into the engine (three grey plugs.) The yellow plugs are the ECU plugs. The big which thing in the middle is two big plugs that connect the lights loom(?) that goes through the right hand fender and comes out near the bottom of the chassis near radiator on the right hand side (Remember, this is a right hand drive car, so could be different.)

I plan to write up as much of the stripe down as possible. This is a little harder then I expected, and I was expecting it to be pretty hard. I guess it would be easy just to bundle it all up and hide it. But I like things to be clean and tidy.

Do I need any of this?

89ej22loomcenterconsoleyd2.th.jpg

Thanks so far, and any more help would be greatly appritiated.

Cheers,

as for the rest, sorry, but i can't help you there, a good rule of thumb, is that if they don't go to a sensor, or to the ecu, they should either be a power or a ground, but not all wires that you have left over should be cut out, some will go to sensors, and others are spliced in and out of the loom that you keep.

1 is definately your fuel pump relay. should have a green with black striped wire going to the ECU, that's what turns it on.

I'm pretty sure 2 isn't your check engine connector, since that is yellow, and the one in the picture isn't....

3 is definately the check engine connector. this will make it flash engine codes to you. definately leave that in there!

4 looks like stuff that goes up into the dash. probably a few things there that you'll need

the brown one in 5 is your main relay, you'll need that. I beleive the green one is the starter relay, which is optional, I just used my EA starter circuit, and it's working fine.

and yep, 6 is the fuse box stuff....you won't need any of that. just run your own wire with a fuse holder inline straight to the battery for that. and then tap in the few wires that need to be switched with the IGN right to the ignition switch.

beyond that, if you don't know what a wire does, trace it to the other end. if it doesn't go under the hood, or to the ECU, you don't need it. that should get you down almost all the way. if it does go the ECU, reference it to the pinout I uploaded, and see what it does. then you can determine if you need it or not, if not, cut it out of there.

I had origionally intended to just bundle everything extra up, and hide it too. but when it didn't run, it made troubleshooting a total pain in the butt.....so I pulled it all back out, and stripped it down. it was DEFINATELY worth the effort!!!

aus spec plug colours,whats needed inside car.

4 yellow ecu plugs.

2 small black plugs [single wire] for fault codes

2 small green[single wire] for fault codes

1 big black plug[red/black,black,light green/red,lght green/yellow,white/red,green/white] select monitor

1 off yellow tan plug[black/red,black/red,light green/red,blue/yelow,white,green white,yellow/red] check plug

1 green plug[fuel pump relay]

1 brown plug[ign relay]

if you delve into auto madness there's lots more wires and plugs[i have]

aus spec plug colours,whats needed inside car.

4 yellow ecu plugs.

2 small black plugs [single wire] for fault codes

2 small green[single wire] for fault codes

1 big black plug[red/black,black,light green/red,lght green/yellow,white/red,green/white] select monitor

1 off yellow tan plug[black/red,black/red,light green/red,blue/yelow,white,green white,yellow/red] check plug

1 green plug[fuel pump relay]

1 brown plug[ign relay]

if you delve into auto madness there's lots more wires and plugs[i have]

awesome list! The colors are all the same (for the plugs anyway...I don't remember all the wire colors...) for U.S. Spec...

you'll also need a few individual wires for your tach and temp gauges. tach comes straight from the ECU, and temp comes straight from the engine. you'll need to find the corresponding wire for these in the EA81 harness, and splice them in.

EA81 temp gauge reads low from the EJ temp sender. I bought an EA81 temp sender and had it fitted to my radiator where the fan switch usually sits ( I use a manual switch so no need for it ) which goes directly to my EA temp guage. EJ temp sender goes to the ECU.

EA81 temp gauge reads low from the EJ temp sender. I bought an EA81 temp sender and had it fitted to my radiator where the fan switch usually sits ( I use a manual switch so no need for it ) which goes directly to my EA temp guage. EJ temp sender goes to the ECU.

this is true of the EA82 aswell. I'd much rather have my gauge read low, but from the block, than have my gauge read normal, and be from the radiator....what if you blow a coolant line? the block will overheat, you'll toast the motor, and your temp gauge will probably go down because there's no coolant in the radiator.

Three more questions.

What is, where is the "select monitor"?

None of the engine to ECU wires through the inside car fusebox?

Number 4 in the picture goes to the other picture. Can anyone tell me what I might need here?

Now I just need to find where the ignition switch goes into the ECU.. I'm pretty sure that's important.

Three more questions.

What is, where is the "select monitor"?

the select moniter is the OBD I connector. it should be a dark yellow, 2x4, 7 wire connector. you'll have to trace the wires from something you know to find it...

None of the engine to ECU wires through the inside car fusebox?

correct. the under-dash fuse box is all for other things. the necessary wiring really only needs one fuse, you'll need a fused wire from the battery, to the yellow wires on the Main Relay.

Number 4 in the picture goes to the other picture. Can anyone tell me what I might need here?

trace the wires within the harness, and see where they go. I beleive that's the stuff that goes up into and across the dash. you'll need a couple things from there, but for the most part....no

Now I just need to find where the ignition switch goes into the ECU.. I'm pretty sure that's important.

not directly to the ECU. the IGN switch wire goes to the Main Relay (big, 6? wire yellow relay in #5 in your pic). which supplies all the necessary power to the ECU.

Alrighty, thanks alot numbchux.

I found three wires that go from the ECU to that other picture of the harness I showed you. One is green/black which is the speed sensor wire, goes from ECU to instrument cluster and then doubles up and heads to the box under the passenger seat (ABS, Cruise Control, ???)

Does the ECU need this speed sensor wire? And if it does, where would I wire it into my instrument cluster?

Next is a Blue/black wire going from ECU to instrument cluster, couldn't find a reference to it in the ECU pinouts you uploaded.

And the other is a red/yellow which follows the blue black one and also has no reference. So I hope they don't do anything.

I'm almost there with cutting the loom down. I just hope it works afterwards. There is only 5 or so wires I am concerned about now.

You can skip the speed sensor.

The Blue/Black is your tach signal wire. It will work with the ea81 inst cluster tach.

My memory is slipping on what the red/yellow wire would be.

Thanks, I'll have to go lable that blue black wire. I've got all the plugs I don't need off (I hope I didn't take any I do need, only time will tell.) and I've found where I need to put Earth, IGN power, and Constant power on. Now I need to go get some alloy to make an adaptor plate. Then it's getting to work on the car.. It's all coming along nicely so far.

Cheers for all the help. You guys are just to friendly and helpful. Makes the rest of the internet look crap.