Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(TX) TSI Emissions FAIL!!!

so failed the two speed idle emissions test in my EA82...I went ahead and replacd my whole exhaust system with a new cat, piping, and muffler, before I go back and try again what else should I do to make sure I pass this time? which way do I adjust my idle air/fuel screw to lean it out? anything else I should do?

New plugs, new air filter, inspect the rest of the ignition system (wires, cap, rotor) and replace stuff if it is bad. Set the timing, idle speed, etc. as per the book. Make sure the car is well warmed up before the inspection.

Pray! Can't hurt.

go to the hardware store and get a gallon of denatured alcohol. run your fuel tank almost empty, add the alcohol, go to the emissions test with a good hot engine (a nice highway cruise right beforehand is always helpful) and you will pass with flying colors. no harm done to your engine, just top off with a good half tank of gasoline afterwards, or more if you are that concerned.

you could alternately try a seafoam treatment before the test, or both.. but the alcohol should be a sure fire pass. much cleaner burn than gasoline when it comes to HC and CO emissions, IIRC its especially helpful on the idling test.

My guess would be that replacing the cat will most likely take care of it-once I did on my 1980 never had problems again. If you want a little insurance then buy some RXP(behind the counter at Oreallys's) and use per directions, as well as a Seafoam treatment.

Like the others say, do a double check for the simple stuff-vac leaks, plugs, wires, etc.

Also get car HOT and keep car idling while waiting for inspection to keep warm...

Let us know....

denatured alcohol can be your friend... i dont have emissions testing here, so i keep hoping someone will take my advice. I can still remember getting the readout on our van when we used the alcohol.. a new rebuilt carb didnt even get us thru emissions, but the alcohol passed with flying colors.. i forget which was which, but either HC or CO count was virtually zero(<5 ppm), and the other was absurdly low.

denatured alcohol can be your friend... i dont have emissions testing here, so i keep hoping someone will take my advice. I can still remember getting the readout on our van when we used the alcohol.. a new rebuilt carb didnt even get us thru emissions, but the alcohol passed with flying colors.. i forget which was which, but either HC or CO count was virtually zero(<5 ppm), and the other was absurdly low.

I got a 8 cylinder 4-barrel Oldsmobile Delta 88 through emissions like that. Looked like the readings of an electric car... Zeroes! :headbang:

I was really nervous that they were going to think something was up... But no such nonsense.

SEA-FOAM

run it in the gas tank... then get another can and pour it in the intake like you are fogging out the motor... let it stall out after running about 3/4 of the can in the motor.

let the sea foam sit in the motor for about 10 to 15 min.. and start it up..

SHE WILL SMOKE like its on fire... just let it go and drive the crap out of it for 10 min.

take it straight to the testing facility... WAM!!!! you should pass.

even if you emissions are still poor.. their computer will show that you had an improvement of (some %) and they should pass you...

15 bucks and alot if smoke= new plates

HOPE IT WORKS

ROCK OUT:headbang:

wo did the seafoam..and had a new cat put on...went and hoped id pass...but I still failed...made a huge difference over last time but the standard is 1.2 and its still at 1.48....was at like 5.7 last time though on the CO...guess ill try the denatured alcohol next.

Sorry about that! I know how annoying that can be. :mad:

The best way I have found to do the alcohol trick is this: Take the tank to nearly empty. Put in ~1 liter of alcohol, drive like mad to the station to keep the car hot. Pass the test and drive immediately to a gas station to dilute the alcohol with 12+ gallons of gasoline.

Go ahead and set your timing lower, too, while you are at it. Less advance will get you more complete combustion. Should lower the CO numbers.

the "you will pass emissions" stuff did NOT work on our ford 351 windsor engine, and the alcohol worked with flying colors. Just adding that two bits.

When you finally get her through emissions, its customary to celebrate with a lunch somewhere you wouldnt ordinarily bother going to for lunch :banana:

anyone know what kind of a difference that you will pass stuff made? cause im so stinkin close maybe it would just get me low enough to make it...just need another .28 less on my low speed idle :( anyways...am beyond broke right now so will have to wait a week or so. thanks a million for all of the help so far everyone.

anyone know what kind of a difference that you will pass stuff made? cause im so stinkin close maybe it would just get me low enough to make it...just need another .28 less on my low speed idle :( anyways...am beyond broke right now so will have to wait a week or so. thanks a million for all of the help so far everyone.

Adjusting your timing is free (as long as you have a timing light or one to borrow). ;)

denatured alcohol is cheap, too... it works like a charm and is no harm done, harm ceoms from long term use.

We used it on a van that had every reason to be "careful" about it, if you understand my point.. and also used alcohol for emissions testing (IIRC) in a 68 ford galaxie, too.... that was an interesting vehicle, the galaxie...