Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:banana::headbang::clap::burnout:

Been in San Francisco for a week. 194,000 a 3800 mile trip and the original head gasketTallest climb was 7200 feet. Gas milage avg 25, lowest 17, highest 31. now all i have to do is get home. :rolleyes: Another 2900 miles in the other direction.

I met cookies and had beers with him, he had to adjust a wiper arm on my car, thats all. The doomsayer of my HG admited they may not be that bad after all.

Cookie is a great guy.

nipper

Good to hear that it's going well!:headbang:

Although I do like to bash the EJ25 a bit, it's still a Subaru engine, and when compared to most of the stuff on the road today, I'd say it's a good motor overall. It's got its weak spots, but well taken care of, it does fine.

I was going to see if we could get the Pope to bless Nipper's head gaskets for the trip home, but he is busy this week.

Maybe he's afraid to give rise to any rumour of Him having anything to do with with a blow job...

Sorry! :drunk:

By the way, nipper's got his car rigged to flatten the average battery. Driving lights, guages, cell phone, Ipod hookup, and the laptop in the passenger's seat. Did I forget anything?

Now we have to worry about his alternator as well as his head gaskets.

That Outback has the phase I 2.5L engine (DOHC). If he needs to replace his headgaskets, it will only be once. The redesigned headgaskets actually fix the one weak spot in that engine. As for the alternator, no real problem there. He just won't have a lot of runtime on the battery with the engine off. What I cannot understand, though, is why noone contacted me when he came visiting. . . :confused:;)

Lets see how to title this, several possabilities

I'm getting a 3 yr, 36000 mile warrenty

I'm getting the oil leakes fixed

I saved 700.00 on a timing belt and reseal

Finally the piston slap noise will be gone

WOHOO more power

I really didnt want to leave San Francisco yet anyway

Finally

HA! The headgasket didnt go (but no one mentioned connecting rods)

WOHOO more power

Blu is dead, long live Blu

Finally

Here i was driving along minding my own business. Stoped to get gas 100 miles west of Reno. Smelled a little more oil leaking then usual, but figured it was spilled oil from me adding a quart. I checked the oil it was fine. Car was not did not overheat. Going up a long hill the oil light flickered twice. i decided to try to pull over to see what that was about. Unfortunitly i didnt have time..... smoke was pouring out of the car.

Pulled over the engine compartment was soaked with oil. i tried restarting it, looked like old fathful.

Called AAA and the highway patrol (didnt feel safe where the car was, on a curve and too many trucks). The tow showed up before the highway patrol.

Had a choice between Reno or Aurburn. The tow driver knew where the dealership was in auburn, so went there. So far GoldRush has been nice to me. I have a 2006 Outback rental for 35.00 a day and no mileage fee (AAA gold is paying for it). They said about a week on the Subaru Rebuild to get my car back (Factory warrenty long block). Service writer was putting one in his car too, so we figure about 4500 (Mastercard).

Now i decided before this trip if the engine blew, i would have the money to replace it, and take that risk. One day in South Dakota i thought i heard a slight rod knock but it never came back again. I lost two rods ( i am a show off what can i say). Previous owner changed the oil once a year ( dont know if it was synthetic).

Oddly im not that upset. The dealership didnt try to sell me a car, i was shocked. The service writer said with a new engine I am good for another 200K.

For the record i like my 1997 better then the 2006.

nipper

WOHOO more power

Blu is dead, long live Blu

Finally

Here i was driving along minding my own business. Stoped to get gas 100 miles west of Reno. Smelled a little more oil leaking then usual, but figured it was spilled oil from me adding a quart. I checked the oil it was fine. Car was not did not overheat. Going up a long hill the oil light flickered twice. i decided to try to pull over to see what that was about. Unfortunitly i didnt have time..... smoke was pouring out of the car.

Pulled over the engine compartment was soaked with oil. i tried restarting it, looked like old fathful.

Called AAA and the highway patrol (didnt feel safe where the car was, on a curve and too many trucks). The tow showed up before the highway patrol.

Had a choice between Reno or Aurburn. The tow driver knew where the dealership was in auburn, so went there. So far GoldRush has been nice to me. I have a 2006 Outback rental for 35.00 a day and no mileage fee (AAA gold is paying for it). They said about a week on the Subaru Rebuild to get my car back (Factory warrenty long block). Service writer was putting one in his car too, so we figure about 4500 (Mastercard).

Now i decided before this trip if the engine blew, i would have the money to replace it, and take that risk. One day in South Dakota i thought i heard a slight rod knock but it never came back again. I lost two rods ( i am a show off what can i say). Previous owner changed the oil once a year ( dont know if it was synthetic).

Oddly im not that upset. The dealership didnt try to sell me a car, i was shocked. The service writer said with a new engine I am good for another 200K.

For the record i like my 1997 better then the 2006.

nipper

Nipper:

Don't feel alone, I get mine back Friday with a complete rebuild and a $4000. bill. I was tired of listening to the knock, but I have to admit the car never has left me along side the rode.

John

Nipper:

Don't feel alone, I get mine back Friday with a complete rebuild and a $4000. bill. I was tired of listening to the knock, but I have to admit the car never has left me along side the rode.

John

You Know ol Blu, she actually started with a huge hole in her block, and got me another 5 feet off the highway.....

she gave her all

nipper

You Know ol Blu, she actually started with a huge hole in her block, and got me another 5 feet off the highway.....

she gave her all

nipper

Subaru all The Way!

These cars are excellent in a world of the medeocre. My Forester will likely be the last car I have.

John

2 connecting rods and a hole in the block... these are the risks one takes and perils one must endure when driving without those good luck air fresheners or other religious symbols affixed to the dashboard.

I am glad you decided that ole blue was not all dead but only mostly dead, as discussed in the movie Princess Bride.

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Inigo Montoya: What's that?

Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

PS Your driveway will never be the same now that your perpetual asphalt sealer has been overhauled.

Get home safe.