Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a spool for the center diff, and take the front halfshafts out.

Or swap in a 4wd tranny from an older one, and put it in 4wd.

The rear axels and driveshaft will take a beating though. The viscous center is only capable of transfering 50% of the engines power and torque to either the front or rear. You are now going to be giving 100% to the rear, things will wear. If your doing this for burnouts, which is the only reason for RWD, the axels will snap.

I'm running RWD with my EJ22, and I'm on my third rear driveshaft in a month. It does do a mean brakestand though.

Seriously, there's no point to a RWD Baja. Go buy a car or truck that started RWD, and beat on it.

There's plenty of nissan z's and RX7's to play with.

I am really almost certain, there is no possible way to make the computer, on a manual car, RWD. The center diff is mechanical, and your tranny is mechanical. There is nothing electric about it, except the sensors and whatnot.

Again, I do not believe you can even make it FWD.

I am really almost certain, there is no possible way to make the computer, on a manual car, RWD. The center diff is mechanical, and your tranny is mechanical. There is nothing electric about it, except the sensors and whatnot.

Again, I do not believe you can even make it FWD.

The AWD cannot be all mechanical, the logics of it doesn't work. Anyhow, you can out what I have said. Open up the fuse box and look at the diagram, it still has a spot called FWD, pop a fuse in their and test drive it. I did it and lift it to make sure it was just leading with the front like STIs can.

The AWD cannot be all mechanical, the logics of it doesn't work. Anyhow, you can out what I have said. Open up the fuse box and look at the diagram, it still has a spot called FWD, pop a fuse in their and test drive it. I did it and lift it to make sure it was just leading with the front like STIs can.
There is no FWD fuse with the MT transmissions. The MT AWD system is 100% mechanical. You cannot fake the computer into making it RWD, cause there's no computer!

Besides, even in Auto AWD setups, you can only go 50% to the rear, max. If you want a RWD car, go get a Corvette and don't massacre a perfectly good baja.

for once, I have to agree with Manerius. The manual tranny has a differential between the front axel feed and the rear axel feed just like the axel's have a diff between the two wheels. The only sensors on the tranny are for neutral, reverse, and speed. The only input is that lever sticking out of the middle of the center console.

The sti tranny is a very different animal. The tranny in the Baja is a design dating back to 1989, when the first legacy's were released.

Oh, and for burnouts? You better believe the 2.5l has the power for burnouts. I crank them out with the 2.2, with way oversized tires.

You aren't over riding anything. The fuse box is probably common to auto's and manuals, hence the spot for FWD.

Go whip some nuts in the dirt. then put the FWD fuse in and do it again. It will whip nuts exactly the same.

I've lifted the car and the front and only the front, both tires, spin. It feels totally different and I can chirp the fronts, they wouldn't spin on blacktop but did in the dirt, left two holes at the front tires.

Take a permanent marker, go out to the car, and change the lable for the FWD fuse to RWD. Presto! the car is now a RWD car if you put the fuse in.

At least it should be in your imagination.

Jack up the front wheels, put the E-brake on hard. Leave the FWD fuse out and make the engine turn the front wheels.

Now, put the FWD fuse in and repeat, it will behave the same.

It's a limited slip diff in the middle, so the wheels with the least traction, the one's in the air, will spin, and the back one's won't move. That's normal.

Take a permanent marker, go out to the car, and change the lable for the FWD fuse to RWD. Presto! the car is now a RWD car if you put the fuse in.

At least it should be in your imagination.

Jack up the front wheels, put the E-brake on hard. Leave the FWD fuse out and make the engine turn the front wheels.

Now, put the FWD fuse in and repeat, it will behave the same.

It's a limited slip diff in the middle, so the wheels with the least traction, the one's in the air, will spin, and the back one's won't move. That's normal.

Watch "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", man that's don't a good thing to try, especially since it would jump the jacks and really mess stuff up.

BTW, the manual says it works in FWD.

As long as your not a moron about it and don't go flooring it, it won't jump the jacks.

Make sure the E-brake's on.

I've done it with my dad's legacy 5 speed. It was to prove a point to myself in reference to a thread saying that the AWD car's would get stuck if they had one wheel in the air (they will if your on a hard hill)

you don't seem to belive what multiple people have written here, why believe what one person wrote in a manual?

Continuous AWD: Baja Sport, equipped with 5-speed manual transmission, utilizes a viscous-type locking center differential with torque distribution normally configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. If wheel speed differs between front and rear axles, the system helps distribute power to the wheels with the most traction.
I don't see anything electronic about that 5MT.

http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications.jsp?model=BAJA&trim=SPORT&command=features

As long as your not a moron about it and don't go flooring it, it won't jump the jacks.

Make sure the E-brake's on.

I've done it with my dad's legacy 5 speed. It was to prove a point to myself in reference to a thread saying that the AWD car's would get stuck if they had one wheel in the air (they will if your on a hard hill)

you don't seem to belive what multiple people have written here, why believe what one person wrote in a manual?

It was written by thousands of Japs that designed and built the car.

Continuous AWD: Baja Sport, equipped with 5-speed manual transmission, utilizes a viscous-type locking center differential with torque distribution normally configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. If wheel speed differs between front and rear axles, the system helps distribute power to the wheels with the most traction.
'nough said.

The tranny doesn't have its own computer, it uses the tcu/ecu/ecm whatever you want to call it. This is the main "brain" of the car and controls everything ELECTRONICAL. If the manual tranny was electronic, why would you have to use your left foot and right hand to make it work? The electronical devices would do it for you. Stop reading for a second, clear your mind.....heres an awful analogy - If a 5 ball pendulm was electronic you would just have to flip a switch to turn it on. You have a model that isn't; you have to raise the ball yourself. Both of these are mass produced, so they use the same base. All you have is a block, strings, balls. The block/base is universal, having a spot for batteries and a switch. If you put batteries in your model and flip the switch, nothing happens. Its purely mechanical.

i was going to jump in this thread, but it seems like its taken an ugly turn.

Automatic uses an clutch pack that is varied between 10/90 to 50/50 using the TCU computer getting information the ECU and a few other inputs.

The MANUAL uses a center differential which can be locked electrically. There is also a viscous coupling to give you a fixed 0/100 (all wheels spinning at the same speed, no power transmission to a slipping wheel) or 50/50 split, no inbetween. For those of you who did not read the first thread and keep insisting on installing the fwd fuse THERE IS NO FUSE IN THE MANUAL, and in the newer automatics i think they did away with it too.

The manual lock just means that you dont have to wait for the wheel to spin to engage the AWD.

Subarus are biased towards the front wheel drive. The symetrical drive applies the brakes at each wheel to help transfer torque to the non spinning wheel, this is NOT done at the transaxle.

i am bowing out of this insanity, so everyone play nice.

nipper