Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Works for 4WD cars, not for AWD cars. The system would go crazy.

i dont know if its even worth everyone trying to help this moron out. he will just find a way to screw his car up. just let him do it. once he modifys something on the awd system and it breaks he will want to take it to the dealer to have it fixed and they wont do anything for him since he modified. then he will wish he had took everyones advice.

Thanks for the advice, all I know is that right now I have a FWD Baja with no real modding, if anyone was any POSITIVE advice on how to do a computer change to RWD please Reply, otherwise, don't bother my time.
I'll be very clear:

There is no computer change that can make the car 100% RWD. The closest you can get is 50/50 split. It's a simple matter of how the system works.

I'll be very clear:

There is no computer change that can make the car 100% RWD. The closest you can get is 50/50 split. It's a simple matter of how the system works.

Because the manual transmissions have a viscous coupler, the automatics have a transfer clutch which is operated by the powertrain control module.

Thanks for the advice, all I know is that right now I have a FWD Baja with no real modding, if anyone was any POSITIVE advice on how to do a computer change to RWD please Reply, otherwise, don't bother my time.

Sorry, there is no way to get RWD with just electronics on any Subaru non-DCCD transmission. If you knew how the output shaft of the transmission went into the center differential, you would understand this.

If you want RWD you must take the center differential out and weld it so it will no longer "differentiate" and effectively make the car 4wd. Then you can either modify/remove the front differential or rig the front axles so they don't spin under power. I'm not exactly sure you can just remove them without leaking tranny fluid everywhere. Then you will have a RWD car.

The only other option is to put a STi transmission (a completely different beast) in the vehicle with an aftermarket controller to vary the car from FWD to RWD.

THAT is the final answer. There is no need to argue this, I have seen a RWD Legacy (same chassis as yours) and this is how it was done. Further arguing would just waste bandwidth.