Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will engine run with timing belt marks off?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 david_steverson

david_steverson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Marietta

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

So, I'm replacing timing belts, etc on my '94 Loyale and I just noticed that while I have my flywheel set at the center valve timing mark, the left camshaft sprocket is lined up with mark on belt cover (as it should be) but the right is straight down (180 degrees off).

I did not rotate those cams so it was already that way. Is it even possible for the engine to have run like that???

If the answer is yes, but it will run like crap, that explains a lot!!

Thanks in advance, Dave

#2 81SubieGL

81SubieGL

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

from my experience it will still run, one of my timing belts snapped, and the other one stayed in tact, but the car ran like poo.

#3 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

The cams are supposed to be 180 degrees from each other. If they are both in the same position, it probably wouldn't run (never tried it myself). I know, it's a weird way to set up the timing procedure, but that's the way it is.

If the timing is off by even one tooth, it will run like absolute crap. (Yeah, I've done that before, as it's a pain to see the alignment marks while the engine is in the car.)

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,966 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

as already mentioned, it should be like that. you set the drivers side one straight up, then rotate the crank 360* (cam will only go 180*), and then set the passenger side one straight up.

and if it's off, even by only one tooth, it'll barely run at all....

#5 david_steverson

david_steverson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Marietta

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Snowman, after reading your post and re-reading the manual, I can see what you mean. I'll live in hope that the belts were off a tooth or so and that the car will run better when I'm finished.

The previous owner said he had the belts changed not long ago, but it just did not run right.

Dave

#6 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

thats what mine did when the belts were one tooth off

#7 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:49 AM

never hurts to check the distributor timing adjustment with a light when youre done.

#8 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:18 PM

they run ok off one tooth. EGR valve does not like it and anything top end or exhaust (whatever side had the leaky opening as a result of one tooth off). If on exhaust side opening too soon, it is ok except for egr, intake open too long, bad news on top end and valves. One way or another you may notice something strange even after fixing. Gas additives that clean are good if something physically didn't get hurt (the valves especially) maybe a gasket challenged, etc. mine recovered even after a long trip with a tooth off and scrapping egr entirely (not necessarily necessary to scap it, i chose to.):)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users