Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

gear oil leak

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeep5.9litre

jeep5.9litre

Subaru Loyalist

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Scranton Pennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Well, looks like my 82 4WD wagon has a gear oil leak somewhere in the manual transmission, I got under, looked, and cant seem to see where the leak is coming from. I placed some cardboard underneath and it looks like its coming right from the center of the transmsmisson. I checked the plug and it was tight and could not see any leaks around it.. Im stumped because everytime I go to drive the car, the fluid is on empty on the dipstick...any suggestions?? You guys ever had this happen?

#2 jeep5.9litre

jeep5.9litre

Subaru Loyalist

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Scranton Pennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

anything?

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

Well, looks like my 82 4WD wagon has a gear oil leak somewhere in the manual transmission, I got under, looked, and cant seem to see where the leak is coming from.

If you can't see where the oil is leaking from (I assume the case is cleaned, etc.) You could try flourescent dye and a black light. I'm not sure if there is a specific dye for oil, but with that leak rate, I don't think the A/C dye would hurt.

#4 deanstapleford

deanstapleford

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Saskatchewan

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:06 AM

In my '85, the front diff was leaking gear oil where the driveshaft goes into the case. There are two seals (inside and outside) on each side that may need to be replaced.

#5 jeep5.9litre

jeep5.9litre

Subaru Loyalist

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • Scranton Pennsylvania

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:30 AM

In my '85, the front diff was leaking gear oil where the driveshaft goes into the case. There are two seals (inside and outside) on each side that may need to be replaced.

I will have to check that out, was it a hard job to complete?

#6 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder

Just a guy

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Rexburg, ID

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

The 4speed in my Hatch is leaking gear oil out one of the axle seals, but that drips it straight on the cat. If it's emptying the gear oil, it's gotta be a wicked leak.

#7 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,939 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Put the car on ramps, degrease it and rinse off. Probably a lather rinse repeat if its as caked on as I have seen it.

#8 deanstapleford

deanstapleford

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Saskatchewan

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:29 AM

I will have to check that out, was it a hard job to complete?

I took it to my dealer. Get the OEM Subaru seals. They last longer, and not that expensive. They are called 'axle shaft seals'.

#9 agerber

agerber

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Goodwell

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Another place to check is where the shifter linkage enters the transmission. My transmission is leaking there and it looks like it may be a major job to fix.

#10 ihscout54

ihscout54

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Prescott, AZ

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

good luck finding that shift shaft seal, even the dealer couldnt souce one for me.
my subaru leaks from the 4wd hi light switch its on the drivers side bottom of the trans behind the axel, the old tranny i replaced leaked pretty good from there too.
-Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users