Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what the HELL is wrong w/heater?

My '88 wagon (maroon, no less :D) did the same thing--in fact, driving uphill would result in the dash vents blowing, and downhill the defrost vents would blow. I never bothered tearing into the dash to figure out what the problem was, though at least I made sure the vacuum hose was connected underhood. Let us know if you find anything out, I might be able to fix mine too. =)

Thinking that maybe one of the vacuum motors(diaphrams) that move the doors, has a hole in it.

Not big enough to cause that function not to work,

but big enough to let the vacuum in it bleed off while under a lowered manifold vacuum caused by acceleration.

Also, thinking that your car has a White vacuum canister on the Pass. side inner fender. This unit is part of the heater control plumbing. It could be bad, or going bad. Thinking it either stores vacuum, or it's a vacuum booster.

I have flushed the heater core 3 times with a low pressure garden hose and home made adaptor. It runs clean.

The thermostat was just replaced last month with a new 195'F but I was wondering if a new thermostat can be defective?

It's 36'F here in NYS, but the engine never warms up beyond the 1/4 mark on the dash guage.

T.J.

The thermostat was just replaced last month with a new 195'F but I was wondering if a new thermostat can be defective?

Yup , it sure can.. someone else here recently had a defective new t-stat giving them some trouble... sounds like yours is stuck open maybe